0   0   0
Hey all,

Parameters as of right mow
no3: 6~ppm
Po4: 0.09ppm
alk: 10
Mag: 1350
Ca: 440

some background to start with, I started the tank over 2 months ago now, using dry sand, and live rock (had been barrel baking for 4~ months in barrels with bottled bac, no coralline or anything, may as well have been dry). I’ve been dealing with GHA the past 3ish weeks, which has been ramping up quick. I lowered light intensity which helped, but it’s still growing quick. I manually remove when I can, and with my latest WC, scrubbed all the rock and removed some sand since it likes to grow on that as well. I texted phos & nitrate only 10min ago, and realised how incredibly out of proportion they are, and looking for advice on reducing to more favourable levels. I’m thinking either the rock is leeching phosphate, or I’m no3 locked and I need to up nitrate so both can be consumed.

So right now my options are, massive 50% wc then another 50% in a week, run rowaphos for a while to lower phos, or dose nitrate. If anyone knows of anything else, or has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Tank photo for your time:)

32C429FB-AC5C-4FDE-90D3-D5773D5C5A5F.jpeg

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate levels are perfect. 0.09ppm isn't high. 0.4-0.5ppm isn't even really high. Anything over 1.0-2.0ppm is high.
I swear I remember reading something abt a ratio, like no3 should be 100x whatever po4 is (ppm). The corals are all growing well, my nems opening up massively, and having my ric drop a pup, but I still worry. Maybe it’s in my head and I’m “chasing numbers,” just feel like this isn’t right somehow

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I remember reading something abt a ratio, like no3 should be 100x whatever po4 is (ppm). The corals are all growing well, my nems opening up massively, and having my ric drop a pup, but I still worry. Maybe it’s in my head and I’m “chasing numbers,” just feel like this isn’t right somehow
There's no ratio or magic numbers. My nitrates are 30-35ppm and phosphates between 0.1-0.15ppm. These have been consistent like this for 2 years now and coral growth is phenomenal (particularly SPS).

If everything is doing great in your tank continue to do whatever it is that you're doing! Corals need nutrients, and "dirtier" tanks seem to perform better than the ultra low nutrient ones.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no ratio or magic numbers. My nitrates are 30-35ppm and phosphates between 0.1-0.15ppm. These have been consistent like this for 2 years now and coral growth is phenomenal (particularly SPS).

If everything is doing great in your tank continue to do whatever it is that you're doing! Corals need nutrients, and "dirtier" tanks seem to perform better than the ultra low nutrient ones.
phewwww wow, and even with such high nutrients no bad algae outbreaks? That’s insNe for SPS, but if it works, it works!!

I only really worry abt GHA, but that could be a CUC issue. It’s 2 Trochus , 2 astreas, 1 stromb, 1 zombie, and 3 turbos. Lawnmower blenny ignores algae and eats pellets haha, even tho he ate algae at the store grrr. Perhaps I could add more….

my nems seem to be behaving the best, and they’re the ones I worry abt the most. I’ll just keep on regular WC, feeding as usual and test for anything wild?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phewwww wow, and even with such high nutrients no bad algae outbreaks? That’s insNe for SPS, but if it works, it works!!

I only really worry abt GHA, but that could be a CUC issue. It’s 2 Trochus , 2 astreas, 1 stromb, 1 zombie, and 3 turbos. Lawnmower blenny ignores algae and eats pellets haha, even tho he ate algae at the store grrr. Perhaps I could add more….

my nems seem to be behaving the best, and they’re the ones I worry abt the most. I’ll just keep on regular WC, feeding as usual and test for anything wild?
I've yet to have a case of GHA, dinos, cyano, bryopsis. I live vicariously through R2R for my "bad algae" fix.

My lawnmower blenny only eats algae off the rocks but I also had one that only ate mysis, so YMMV with these fish!

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to have a case of GHA, dinos, cyano, bryopsis. I live vicariously through R2R for my "bad algae" fix.

My lawnmower blenny only eats algae off the rocks but I also had one that only ate mysis, so YMMV with these fish!
I’m envious. First tank was a GHA turf lobophora NIGHTMARE, this is beginnings of GHA, but I suspect it’s just uglies and should pass with time and maintenance. ahh lucky, I find people have such mixed lawnmower experiences, I love mine tho, such a funny fish

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m envious. First tank was a GHA turf lobophora NIGHTMARE, this is beginnings of GHA, but I suspect it’s just uglies and should pass with time and maintenance. ahh lucky, I find people have such mixed lawnmower experiences, I love mine tho, such a funny fish
I found a small tuft of GHA about the size of a nickel in my overflow (clinging to the emergency overflow pipe) when I was cleaning it out a month or so back, but that's about it. Between the CUC, tangs and parrotfish - they make short work of anything that looks even remotely edible.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a small tuft of GHA about the size of a nickel in my overflow (clinging to the emergency overflow pipe) when I was cleaning it out a month or so back, but that's about it. Between the CUC, tangs and parrotfish - they make short work of anything that looks even remotely edible.
My tiny Waterbox 20 cries in envy. I love it, but can be so limiting, then being In Australia limits me even further :(. I might try up my CUC, got some stomatellas and micro brittle stars later this week which may be good for detritus and any areas if may accumulate…some more turbos as well perhaps

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus are the best (being able to right themselves). Spiny astrea and ring cowries are great for rocks; cerith, conches and nassarius for the sand bed.

At last count I had around 250 inverts in my tank, but I probably lose a half dozen every month.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus are the best (being able to right themselves). Spiny astrea and ring cowries are great for rocks; cerith, conches and nassarius for the sand bed.

At last count I had around 250 inverts in my tank, but I probably lose a half dozen every month.
I might try get some more trochus, I REALLT want some cowries but so hard to find here, and I have plans to get some more conchs and nassarius. I love inverts, one of my favourite things of a reef tank

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree with @blaxsun on your phosphate level, but I think you have an issue. The artificial rock is sucking up your phosphates and making it appear that they are lower than they actually are.

I would keep checking Nitrate every other day and raise it to 15 and keep it there. Once your rock finally cycles then your Nitrate and Phosphate will even out and your algae will subside some..

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @blaxsun on your phosphate level, but I think you have an issue. The artificial rock is sucking up your phosphates and making it appear that they are lower than they actually are.

I would keep checking Nitrate every other day and raise it to 15 and keep it there. Once your rock finally cycles then your Nitrate and Phosphate will even out and your algae will subside some..
Wait the rock is sucking it up? Or leeching it out? I feel if it’s sucking it up then the number cannot be lower than what it actually is, if anything wouldn’t it be higher and the rock is absorbing it? Similar to how people with algae outbreak test 0 nutrients bc it’s absorbed too quick

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wait the rock is sucking it up? Or leeching it out? I feel if it’s sucking it up then the number cannot be lower than what it actually is, if anything wouldn’t it be higher and the rock is absorbing it? Similar to how people with algae outbreak test 0 nutrients bc it’s absorbed too quick
Same thing to me, sucking, leeching....

Yes, artificial rock is known for this and is the 100% reason people get Dinoflagelates in a new build. They need to check Nitrates and dose to around 15. Phosphate is good where it is in your case.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing to me, sucking, leeching....

Yes, artificial rock is known for this and is the 100% reason people get Dinoflagelates in a new build. They need to check Nitrates and dose to around 15. Phosphate is good where it is in your case.
Sorry mate, brain fried from low sleep, Uni, and work. Would dosing it all at once be better, or a slow dose over a week or so?

otherwise night dose a little bit, do a big WC, then retest and see where I’m at

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry mate, brain fried from low sleep, Uni, and work. Would dosing it all at once be better, or a slow dose over a week or so?

otherwise night dose a little bit, do a big WC, then retest and see where I’m at
No worries!

I dose Brightwell NeoNitro and I know 10ml will raise my 90 gallon system probably 4 or 5 points. You're at 6 so it won't really matter. May be good to dose it over a couple of days.

You'll notice after about 3 or 4 weeks of keeping Nitrate at 12 to 15, everything suddenly evens out. Then it will stay there unless you want it lower. I keep mine in that range and I have 100% Acropora.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries!

I dose Brightwell NeoNitro and I know 10ml will raise my 90 gallon system probably 4 or 5 points. You're at 6 so it won't really matter. May be good to dose it over a couple of days.

You'll notice after about 3 or 4 weeks of keeping Nitrate at 12 to 15, everything suddenly evens out. Then it will stay there unless you want it lower. I keep mine in that range and I have 100% Acropora.
Yeah sweet. I’ve got coral essentials nitrate up, which I’ve used in the past and had worked. Will give it a shot, maybe 2ppm a day, and keep testing twice a week N & P until I see a change. Thanks for the help man

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ratios are, IMO, a fundamentally flawed way to think of nutrients and I have never recommended them.

That said, I think your valuess are perfect.

I recommend 2-10 ppm nitrate and 0.03 to 0.1 ppm phosphate as desirable ranges, with above those ranges better than below.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock and sand does both, depending on whether it is holding more phosphate than is in equilibrium with the level in the water, or less.

It essentially buffers (i.e., holds back/reduces) any upward or downward changes in phosphate (not nitrate).

Back