High Phosphate

D0ubt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
Recently my sps coral started to bleach, I tested the phosphate and found it was a 1.6. I did a 20 percent water change using rodi water, as well as adding the appropriate number of chemipure blue packets. This dropped my phosphate to .9 however i am at a loss how to reduce it to what i've been recommended is best .03 or less ppm. I was looking into possibly adding some type of phosphate removing pad to my filter, would this be smart? or should i approach from a different angle? I have been reducing my feeding as well.

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it as low as possible with water changes (maybe 2 more) then maintain with gfo, rowaphos or lanthanum chloride

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd aim for 0.1 ppm, at least initially and I would not be in a panic about it. 1 ppm is fine for many aquaria.

Rich’s 150 gallon display, on a 300 gallon system, is running a phosphate level of 1.24 ppm, a level at 24.8 times higher than the often recommended .05 ppm. Photo by Richard Ross.

1616787438063.png

OP
OP
D

D0ubt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd aim for 0.1 ppm, at least initially and I would not be in a panic about it. 1 ppm is fine for many aquaria.

Rich’s 150 gallon display, on a 300 gallon system, is running a phosphate level of 1.24 ppm, a level at 24.8 times higher than the often recommended .05 ppm. Photo by Richard Ross.

1616787438063.png
Thank you, I will definitely do that, i also readjusted my lighting set up to see if that was contributing to the bleaching problem.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1616787438063.png
Any idea what his nitrate #'s are at?

OP
OP
D

D0ubt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what his nitrate #'s are at?
Last I checked this morning my phosphate was still .9 and my nitrates were between .00 and .05 i'm saving to get a more accurate testing system for nitrates and alkalinity. I'm going to upgrade my filtration as well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I checked this morning my phosphate was still .9 and my nitrates were between .00 and .05 i'm saving to get a more accurate testing system for nitrates and alkalinity. I'm going to upgrade my filtration as well.
With nitrates that low and phosphate high, you will have to use GFO, or Phosguard, or lanthanum chloride to lower those down to a reasonable range.

Keep in mind that water changes won't work in this case either, since the rock and sand will be full of phosphate.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With nitrates that low and phosphate high, you will have to use GFO, or Phosguard, or lanthanum chloride to lower those down to a reasonable range.

Keep in mind that water changes won't work in this case either, since the rock and sand will be full of phosphate.
So if i do a phosphate test and get back .1ppm... what does that really mean? There's a 1ppm of phosphates in my water and 1ppm on my rocks/sand? and if i do a 50% water change, that would bring my water's phosphate down to 0.05ppm theoretically, but because i have so much on my rocks/sand, it would just leech back into the water... and i would actually read some where between 0.05-.1ppm.. does this sound right?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back