High phosphates

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just texted for phosphates and they are highest color on the measurement thing. I know how to get them down through water changes and stuff but are they as bad as nitrates when the nitrates are high? Or should I change the water as soon as possible? Cause my fish and inverts seem to be doing fine.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure of the test results and what is the result?

If as high as you are saying then yes you need to get them down, water changes are not the best to get very high PO4 down you will be better with something like rowaphos.

More details on tank would maybe help give better advice.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure of the test results and what is the result?

If as high as you are saying then yes you need to get them down, water changes are not the best to get very high PO4 down you will be better with something like rowaphos.

More details on tank would maybe help give better advice.
Water changes have less effect on phosphates compared to nitrates .
How high and what test kit are you testing with ?
image.jpg

This testing kit and my tank is 32.5 gallon FluvalSmart and the color was at around 4.0 to 10.0. What are some thing to get rid of phosphates, is there some type of medicine to put in the tank kinda like chemiclean?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be better introducing something like micro algae to remove it since your fish and corals are happy. That way you have a solution. Water change is temporary but by all means do it if you think it is necessary

oh and get rid of your API tests ( just a thought)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either buy a different test kit to check it or take a sample,to your LFS and ask them to check it before you do anything.

In my first reply I suggested rowaphos to reduce the phosphate if it is actually high as you think.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be better introducing something like micro algae to remove it since your fish and corals are happy. That way you have a solution. Water change is temporary but by all means do it if you think it is necessary

oh and get rid of your API tests ( just a thought)
Cool so do you know anything about macroalgae I have no idea about them. And here’s a pic of my tank. What types should I get? And you said they get rid of phosphates?
image.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool so do you know anything about macroalgae I have no idea about them. And here’s a pic of my tank. What types should I get? And you said they get rid of phosphates?
image.jpg

if your PO4 is as high as you think you are going to need a better solution then micro algae, micro algae can only do so much they can not clear a tank full of PO4.

If it is high you need to look for the reason why? Do,you do water changes? Are you using coral foods? Which as very high in PO4 and not needed for the corals, other foods would be better for you to use.

What food do you feed your fish? Pellets are high in PO4 and sit on the sand bed adding PO4 to the tank, frozen foods would be better.

How do you remove nutrients? Filter socks, how often do you change them? 2-3 days is best, do you use a skimmer?

My plan of action would be, first work out why the PO4 is high and reduce the PO4 to acceptable lvls of under 0.1 or around that figure, then once you have done that, you can look into micro algae if you want to help keep it low but first you need to reduce it and understand why it got so high.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your PO4 is as high as you think you are going to need a better solution then micro algae, micro algae can only do so much they can not clear a tank full of PO4.

If it is high you need to look for the reason why? Do,you do water changes? Are you using coral foods? Which as very high in PO4 and not needed for the corals, other foods would be better for you to use.

What food do you feed your fish? Pellets are high in PO4 and sit on the sand bed adding PO4 to the tank, frozen foods would be better.

How to you remove nutrients? Filter socks, how often do you change them 2-3 days is best, do you use a skimmer?

My plan of action would be, first work out why the PO4 is high and reduce the PO4 to acceptable lvls of under 0.1 or around that figure, then once you have done that, you can look into micro algae if you want to help keep it low but first you need to reduce it and understand why it got so high.
Ok so are filter socks the black sponges things at the back of the tank? And what exactly does a skimmer do I was thinking of getting one.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so are filter socks the black sponges things at the back of the tank? And what exactly does a skimmer do I was thinking of getting one.
I do feed pellets to my fish but they eat all of them I have a pretty huge clownfish and threee pajamas. And a ywg eats them too. Actually everything in my tank eats the pellets. So I don’t think that’s the problem.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I have chaeto in a rinse reactor and also some other type going in the back chambers of my AIO where still have lights hitting the surface. Latter has not much effect I just like it there so do my pods :)
Cheato works well sometimes too well. I regularly dose nitrates to make sure not going 0. Phosphates are down to 0.03-0.1ppm depending on what I feed since I have it. It was around 3ppm before.

algue scrubbers working well too but I have no personal experience with them.
there are other types but I have gone with the most common one.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed pellets to my fish but they eat all of them I have a pretty huge clownfish and threee pajamas. And a ywg eats them too. Actually everything in my tank eats the pellets. So I don’t think that’s the problem.

no filter socks are normally white, google filter socks and you’ll see.

Filter wool is maybe an option for you instead, either one is good as it removes the nutrients before they break down adding PO4 and nitrates.

If the black thing you mentioned is some kind of filter, then that will not be helping and maybe adding to the problem, they need to be cleaned every 2-3 days and they are not as good as socks or filter floss as they let big particles through, socks and filter woll filter out much small particles, so I would change over to one of those.

A skimmer does similar to socks but removes much small particles, in your size tank you may not have room for a good one, they are not needed so don’t worry if you can’t fit one in, you just need to keep up with water changes and changing the socks or wool,often to make up,for not having a skimmer.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no filter socks are normally white, google filter socks and you’ll see.

Filter wool is maybe an option for you instead, either one is good as it removes the nutrients before they break down adding PO4 and nitrates.

If the black thing you mentioned is some kind of filter, then that will not be helping and maybe adding to the problem, they need to be cleaned every 2-3 days and they are not as good as socks or filter floss as they let big particles through, socks and filter woll filter out much small particles, so I would change over to one of those.

A skimmer does similar to socks but removes much small particles, in your size tank you may not have room for a good one, they are not needed so don’t worry if you can’t fit one in, you just need to keep up with water changes and changing the socks or wool,often to make up,for not having a skimmer.
Ok would changing these bacteria balls help?
image.jpg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but do you change them, just curious it might be worth a shot since I’ve never changed them since I got the tank.
I rinse them every so often. It is more acts as a pod hotel in my case than anything else. When you rinse them a lot of floating debris comes out which is I guess not bad. Changing the just gets rid of the bacteria on it which is not really what you want to do. At least not all at the same time.
I have plans to get rid of it altogether and swap it to trays of mud as I can see better affects from that.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but do you change them, just curious it might be worth a shot since I’ve never changed them since I got the tank.
If you rinse them, rinse them in a small container of tank saltwater so you preserve the bacteria. If you rinse them under RO or the tap it defeats the purpose, ie: drop them in the container, swish around - put them back.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I just texted for phosphates and they are highest color on the measurement thing. I know how to get them down through water changes and stuff but are they as bad as nitrates when the nitrates are high? Or should I change the water as soon as possible? Cause my fish and inverts seem to be doing fine.
Best success ive had is adding a pouch of chemipure blue or elite which lowers it, keeps it in check and polishes your water.
If youre using API kit to test, you May be getting false readings. If so, take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API kit and see what result they come up with as an assurance

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best success ive had is adding a pouch of chemipure blue or elite which lowers it, keeps it in check and polishes your water.
If youre using API kit to test, you May be getting false readings. If so, take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API kit and see what result they come up with as an assurance
Ok I will probably take it to my lfs but do you think my tank can last like 2-3 days and be fine. Cause I’m pretty busy.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will probably take it to my lfs but do you think my tank can last like 2-3 days and be fine. Cause I’m pretty busy.
Hard to say without knowing when you last tested and what the phosphates were then. Did you also test your nitrates? I would probably take your water in to your LFS sooner as opposed to later, but that's just me.

Back