High Vanadium and Molybdenum levels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted my 240 gallon to the Triton method about 2.5 months ago. Leading up to the changeover I did 8 weeks of 15% water changes using hw-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix. Prior to the water changes, the tank had been up and running for about a year using standard water changes to handle the elements loading. My first Triton test prior to the water changes showed:
Vandium: 19
Molybdenum: 75

After the 8 water changes:
V: 20
Mo: 59

Then after the first two weeks of Triton:
V: 20
Mo: 74

My corals and fish are healthy, I did just recently lose an acahtophyllia that was 6 years old for some unknown reason.

My question is, is there any way to bring down these two elements beside water changes? Clearly they don't seem to helping.

I have there are only two frag plugs in the system, wet component wise:
Vectra L1 Pump
Protein Skimmer using a Sicce Pump
two eheim heaters
Maxpect gyre
Apex ATK and Apex Probes

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check every magnet and internal pump for rust. Probe Holders, Vortech Wet Side, etc. I've read references to magnets and Molybdenum before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently pulled all the various pumps out and cleaned them. I just checked the other magnets and they are good with no visible corrosion.
I would check every magnet and internal pump for rust. Probe Holders, Vortech Wet Side, etc. I've read references to magnets and Molybdenum before.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am running triton and have slightly elevated v and mo, I also use hw marinemix reefer. I technically dont do water changes but I started the tank with hw and did water changes for about 6 months before stopping, I also have to add 1/3 cup salt mix to my ATO every week to help compensate for what my skimmer and alk monitor pull out of the system. What salt mix did you use prior? It's possible hw and your prior salt mix both have elevated v and mo. I am switching to tm pro so well see if that helps, although I don't plan on doing water changes just the ATO stuff.

Triton lists another source of possible contamination as foods. I feed lrs fish frenzy, live blackworms, and hikari spirulina brine. If one had elevated levels my guess would be the hikari since it's cheapest but I have no idea what I'm talking about.... The only other things I dose into my system are brs kalkwasser and KZ coral vitalizer.

I am curious, do you feed or dose any of the same?

Back