Higher Salinity for SPS

  • Thread starter Thread starter aqua_code
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aqua_code

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
332
Reaction score
478
Location
Baltimore
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking over the aquaforest mixing suggestions and found this chart:
1566438303057.png


1566438386785.png


Is this a common strategy for SPS? keeping the tank at 1.026? Or is it just for the aquaforest mixing suggestions to ensure a higher ph and alk/calcium?

Thanks
 
having the higher SG likely is being recommended to keep the other three elements slightly higher (calcium/alk/mag)
 
1.0264 is average among many reefs. @Battlecorals keeps his around 1.028 I believe, as do a few others. Higher availability of trace elements.
 
35 ppt (1.026) is not only the average, its the rule -- there is little variation. Like most Cnidarians corals have little osmoregulatory ability and in nature primarily exist in areas where the salinity fluctuates very little. When they encounter salinity changes in nature (heavy rains) it often kills large patches of the reef. In areas with consistently different salinity (e.g. the Persian Gulf), only a small number of corals are able to exist (a couple dozen species at best, compared to hundreds on the GBR).

I'm always surprised that people keep their reef tanks at anything but 35 ppt. I know it can be done (although inaccuracies in refractometer calibration make it unclear how often this is really the case), but why?

my $0.02
 
Thank you for all the feedback! Really helpful to get all these responses. I will be keeping my SPS closer to 1.0264 now.

I previously thought anywhere from 1.024-1.026 was within acceptable range, but this suggests with SPS 35ppt is essential.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new