aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking over the aquaforest mixing suggestions and found this chart:
1566438303057.png

1566438386785.png

Is this a common strategy for SPS? keeping the tank at 1.026? Or is it just for the aquaforest mixing suggestions to ensure a higher ph and alk/calcium?

Thanks

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having the higher SG likely is being recommended to keep the other three elements slightly higher (calcium/alk/mag)

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35 ppt (1.026) is not only the average, its the rule -- there is little variation. Like most Cnidarians corals have little osmoregulatory ability and in nature primarily exist in areas where the salinity fluctuates very little. When they encounter salinity changes in nature (heavy rains) it often kills large patches of the reef. In areas with consistently different salinity (e.g. the Persian Gulf), only a small number of corals are able to exist (a couple dozen species at best, compared to hundreds on the GBR).

I'm always surprised that people keep their reef tanks at anything but 35 ppt. I know it can be done (although inaccuracies in refractometer calibration make it unclear how often this is really the case), but why?

my $0.02

OP
OP
aqua_code

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the feedback! Really helpful to get all these responses. I will be keeping my SPS closer to 1.0264 now.

I previously thought anywhere from 1.024-1.026 was within acceptable range, but this suggests with SPS 35ppt is essential.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back