Hippo Clam

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these clams less responsive to touching and shading? My LFS has a bunch of real nice looking ones except they aren't responding like closing when shading etc. I have no experience with these and am curious how to tell if one is healthy or not?

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clams can show less response to shadows. It's the last thing I would be concerned about when looking for a healthy clam to be honest. Our squamosa had almost no response to shadows for years.

I guess I have no idea what a non healthy hippo looks like.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My established clams won't move much even when fish eat pellets off of their mantles. All of my new ones are very sensitive for a while. Light sensitivity can be a good thing, but not a necessary thing.

I honestly have no idea about a Hippo - never really owned one. Sorry. Are they cultured or wild? People used to find the wild ones very easy back when they were available all of the time.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My established clams won't move much even when fish eat pellets off of their mantles. All of my new ones are very sensitive for a while. Light sensitivity can be a good thing, but not a necessary thing.

They are cultured.

I honestly have no idea about a Hippo - never really owned one. Sorry. Are they cultured or wild? People used to find the wild ones very easy back when they were available all of the time.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very nice hippo clam that i purchased feom Pacifie East. It responds about the same as my other two species of clams. Should definitely react if u shade it with hand, etc. I believe they were all aquaculture. Did u happen to take a pic of them to share? Would help to see potential problems.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of mine for reference. Not sure if its of any help, but mine currently seems "happy" and doing well in the tank.
20190522_162212.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt take any pictures. They did look healthy though. They just weren't responding to light and would only shut if picked up a bit and moved. Not sure if that normal. I know with all the other clams they would pull the mantle in but obviously this would be different with this one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back