Hippo tang aggression

Lukeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0610.JPG
I've had this hippo tang for about 3 years. Got him when he was slightly larger than a quarter. He's about 5 inches now and has become crazy aggressive. He relentlessly attacks any new fish I put in the tank. Started constantly harassing my purple tang I've had for 3 years. Last week I added an adult blue line trigger and the tang is not intimidated at all and keeps tail swiping him. Beautiful fish but I really want to get rid of him at this point. I was always under the impression these guys were docile and peaceful but this guy is probably the meanest fish I've ever owned. Just curious if anybody else has seen or dealt with this? Any advice?

JsL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mine is pretty bossy, but not to the point where he would constantly harass other fish.

Have you tried reaquascaping the tank amd probably adding the new fish then. Throw him off a little.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it happens for sure... unfortunately besides moving rocks around to switch up territories, there is not a lot you can do.

besides throw a more aggressive tang in there or maybe a bigger chill one like a naso?

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 different ones at different times and all of them got mean after a while. They would chase, bully and push away as I fed. Had to remove all of them and trade them out. The last one I had would pick at my acans to make them spit out their food. I wouldn't get another one, that's for sure.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised no one has asked about tank size yet.

Tank size?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo decides from time to time to mess with my sargassum trigger, the hippo ends up with some scars from the trigger. I think its a sign hes healthy and spunky, not necessarily a bad thing. Fish will be fish. If it bothers you enough then just get it out but i just let my fish do what they do. Only fish in 30+ years i had to get rid of was a queen trigger, he would just kill fish for fun.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised no one has asked about tank size yet.

Tank size?

Indeed, LOL. Hippo is a highly ideosynchratic fish. It's a swimmer and needs plenty of space otherwise it'll go crazy as it grows. I'm of the opinion that an 8' tank is required, otherwise you run the risk of getting a psycho fish. Mine is 8" and mostly ignores any new fish. Inherently a far less aggressive fish than say the evil purple tang.

OP
OP
Lukeh

Lukeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tangs are evil? I actually found someone to take the hippo off my hands this afternoon. My tank is 180 gallons btw. Too small I guess.
Indeed, LOL. Hippo is a highly ideosynchratic fish. It's a swimmer and needs plenty of space otherwise it'll go crazy as it grows. I'm of the opinion that an 8' tank is required, otherwise you run the risk of getting a psycho fish. Mine is 8" and mostly ignores any new fish. Inherently a far less aggressive fish than say the evil purple tang.
pl

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is interesting ! iv'e had more than a few in the past & every single one never paid the slightest mind to any fish . All in a 220 gl 6 ft tank. Maybe the longer tank is what did it. I have a real small one in Q/T as we speak . this fish is destined for a 180 6ft tank.
I like these guys so much it would be the only tang i would buy.

Last edited:

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a small hippo (~3in.) and it has already attacked my Royal Gramma (who is longer in charge!) and a starry blenny putting large scars on both!! We’ll how it plays out as time goes by I guess!
195DA928-0B5A-47C5-BAC3-719A6D3AA65F.jpeg
C3F5D12D-D1F4-4183-8707-12AF9E551B78.jpeg
C7866E47-01A0-4D6E-8710-E91258A0DC0B.jpeg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0610.JPG
I've had this hippo tang for about 3 years. Got him when he was slightly larger than a quarter. He's about 5 inches now and has become crazy aggressive. He relentlessly attacks any new fish I put in the tank. Started constantly harassing my purple tang I've had for 3 years. Last week I added an adult blue line trigger and the tang is not intimidated at all and keeps tail swiping him. Beautiful fish but I really want to get rid of him at this point. I was always under the impression these guys were docile and peaceful but this guy is probably the meanest fish I've ever owned. Just curious if anybody else has seen or dealt with this? Any advice?

One of the biggest disservices done by the movie Finding Nemo, is passing off a Blue Tang as some sort of cute and happy go lucky fish. The fact remains that ALL TANGS are somewhat aggressive and many can be downright jerks, my Yellow Tang wasn't 40% grown and barely lasted a month in my 90 gallon tank before turning into a complete butthead to it's tank mates. It could be that like mine, it has claimed your entire tank as it's own personal turf and if so then you are going to have to remove it.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size tank? ... The smaller the tank the more aggressive tangs become especially when their territory is the whole tank.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the biggest disservices done by the movie Finding Nemo, is passing off a Blue Tang as some sort of cute and happy go lucky fish. The fact remains that ALL TANGS are somewhat aggressive and many can be downright jerks, my Yellow Tang wasn't 40% grown and barely lasted a month in my 90 gallon tank before turning into a complete butthead to it's tank mates. It could be that like mine, it has claimed your entire tank as it's own personal turf and if so then you are going to have to remove it.
Thanks, very interesting comment and thread. Is there a minimum tank size for tangs? I saw above someone recommending an eight foot long tank. So basically the general hobbiest shouldn't have one?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having lots of rock work and keeping them well fed helps out somehow, I have a 92g, with 14 fish that have all been in there for over 2 years ( except the clown trigger I added 2 days ago ), tanks been running for 2.5 years and four of those are tangs, a yellow, purple, blonde naso and hippo and have no issues between them. They are all chunky and healthy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tangs are evil? I actually found someone to take the hippo off my hands this afternoon. My tank is 180 gallons btw. Too small I guess.

My purple tang is 'evil'. Has had two periods of time-out in the frag tank. I'd have thought a 6' 180 would be enough space for a 5" hippo. Do you have adequate swimming room; are you feeding enough? Remember, the hippo differs from almost all other tangs in that it is more omnivore than herbivore. This may not manifest overtly in the tank. Mine eats everything, and large quantities. Probably the second biggest eater in my tank.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back