Hippo Tang black spots

highlite2nice

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2016
Messages
86
Reaction score
35
Location
orlando, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my yellow belly hippo has some black spots looking things, mostly on her belly. I thought it might black ick, so I am currently treating with Prazipro. It's been 3 days and I don't see any improvement.

The fish is acting normal no flashing, scratching, and eating fine.

Do I wait to see if it improves or can it be something else?
4a4ca031-e4bb-424a-aef6-0d1ce9131e18.jpg
 
Can you post a couple more pics or a Video? Hard to tell much from this one other than some discoloration.
 
Hi, my yellow belly hippo has some black spots looking things, mostly on her belly. I thought it might black ick, so I am currently treating with Prazipro. It's been 3 days and I don't see any improvement.

The fish is acting normal no flashing, scratching, and eating fine.

Do I wait to see if it improves or can it be something else?
4a4ca031-e4bb-424a-aef6-0d1ce9131e18.jpg
This is a skin irritation that these fish are susceptible to but can also be hyper melanization from sting from anemone or coral
 

This looks like a chronic issue to me - did it develop gradually over weeks?

One thing it may be - the fish has head and lateral line erosion. Normally, that just disfigures a fish, but in some cases, the open eroded pits become infected...
 
Hi, my yellow belly hippo has some black spots looking things, mostly on her belly. I thought it might black ick, so I am currently treating with Prazipro. It's been 3 days and I don't see any improvement.

The fish is acting normal no flashing, scratching, and eating fine.

Do I wait to see if it improves or can it be something else?
4a4ca031-e4bb-424a-aef6-0d1ce9131e18.jpg
This is a skin irritation that these fish are susceptible to but can also be hyper melanization from sting from anemone or coral
Thank you.
 

This looks like a chronic issue to me - did it develop gradually over weeks?

One thing it may be - the fish has head and lateral line erosion. Normally, that just disfigures a fish, but in some cases, the open eroded pits become infected...
She was fine it basically happened over night.

Good point thank you
 
She was fine it basically happened over night.

Good point thank you

Sorry I’m stumped -

Not much can cause that much damage overnight - flukes, even ich take a few days to build in numbers. Some virulent bacterial diseases and velvet can be very quick, but they would show other symptoms, not eating, rapid breathing mostly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new