Hitch-hiking Coral. ID?

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers.

Just purchased a nice Toadstool, and on the base of the rock he came on noticed a couple of these small soft corals. Any ID appreciated.

Also, if they are invasive/pest please let me know.

Thanks!
20180715_135847.jpeg
20180715_135834.jpeg

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful if you choose to remove this from your tank. Watch tutorials on removing palys from your rocks and wear the suggested protective gear. Palytoxin is no joke and brown palys (according to some) have among the highest concentration of it.

Be patient, be safe. Remember that some of these animals are equiped with poisons and are designed to defend themselves against attackers.

Reefhabit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would try and get rid of it before it spreads and you do want to be careful removing it, palytoxin is no joke. Since you only have 2 polyps you might want to take some acropora frag cutters and cut off pieces of the rock it's on.

OP
OP
CookeRS

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would try and get rid of it before it spreads and you do want to be careful removing it, palytoxin is no joke. Since you only have 2 polyps you might want to take some acropora frag cutters and cut off pieces of the rock it's on.
Hey Reefhabit.

Yeah I'm going to remove it this week. I was thinking of actually just fragging it onto a seperate rock and island it from the rest of my rock so I can keep it under control.

Yes I've read up on Palythoa/Xoanthids and such, I'll be wearing protective gloves and face protection when I do it. I've ordered a reef propagation kit online.

Cheers!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back