Hitchhiker Clam

KeystoneMalone

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2019
Messages
40
Reaction score
83
Location
Islip
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R community!

Hope everyone and their families are healthy!

I noticed this little guy last time I did a water change, and buried him before I could get a pic while I was vacuuming the substrate, but I was just feeding some reef roids and noticed he popped up again, kinda looks like some kind of clam, but I’m not sure.

I started with new dry rock and I only have 4 frags so far. I’ve been super careful about brushing the plugs, and dipping the coral before I put it in the tank so I’m not sure where it could have come from?

Any help would be appreciated-

Thanks!!!

32518C22-8D72-4466-81E0-4C6D9C6DBDFB.jpeg 42850EEB-C89D-4106-861F-0268614B6D99.jpeg
 
That is actually a snail operculum, the piece of bone they use to seal themselves inside their shell. have you had any snails gone missing recently?
I did have one die recently overnight, prior to that gravel vacing I mentioned, maybe it was just buried and one of the nessarius snails I have brought it up when coming out of the sandbed- thanks for the help!
 
If it’s not from a snail, then it’s only half a clam. A very dead half, as in just the shell. Very common to be mixed with sand or fall out of holes in live rock.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new