Hitchhiker Clam

KeystoneMalone

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello R2R community!

Hope everyone and their families are healthy!

I noticed this little guy last time I did a water change, and buried him before I could get a pic while I was vacuuming the substrate, but I was just feeding some reef roids and noticed he popped up again, kinda looks like some kind of clam, but I’m not sure.

I started with new dry rock and I only have 4 frags so far. I’ve been super careful about brushing the plugs, and dipping the coral before I put it in the tank so I’m not sure where it could have come from?

Any help would be appreciated-

Thanks!!!

32518C22-8D72-4466-81E0-4C6D9C6DBDFB.jpeg 42850EEB-C89D-4106-861F-0268614B6D99.jpeg

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
KeystoneMalone

KeystoneMalone

View Badges
Reaction score
That is actually a snail operculum, the piece of bone they use to seal themselves inside their shell. have you had any snails gone missing recently?
I did have one die recently overnight, prior to that gravel vacing I mentioned, maybe it was just buried and one of the nessarius snails I have brought it up when coming out of the sandbed- thanks for the help!

Softhammer

View Badges
Reaction score
If it’s not from a snail, then it’s only half a clam. A very dead half, as in just the shell. Very common to be mixed with sand or fall out of holes in live rock.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

The worst paradigm to hit the hobby is getting your nutrient levels as low as possible?

• Yes

Votes: 173 54.6%
  • No

Votes: 63 19.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 70 22.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors