Hitmans 600 gallon predator build

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just lost the last Vlamingii Tang and my Marine Beta. Generator is up and running all 3 systems but I think it’s a little to late. I had my truck running all night to power the return pumps but not having the skimmers and all the wave pumps I think I deprived the tanks of oxygen. Plus not having AC here in the south the temp is rising pretty fast. I just added the last bag of ice to my sump that I could find in 30 miles ;Sorry tank is still at 83 degrees

It always sucks when things like this happen. Sorry you're having to go through this crap.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man! I've been there. I'm so sorry. Power outages suck!

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s official everything in the 240 and 600 is dead ;Sorry ;Sorry ;Sorry Checked on it early this morning and as I came down the stairs the smell hit me. I got the generator up and running to late. I have 200 gallons of water mixing and the rodi unit making 200 more.Going to be a long long road to recovery on this one. Still waiting to here back from my buddy as my shipment from the @WWC lighting sale just arrived and I hope he is good to go and I can bring my new babies to him.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh, H**L no- seriously???
I would be devastated. It takes hard word and a lot of cash to satock this type of tank - I KNOW. Im filling my generator.
I would need 12 battery operated pumps but I do have two large gyres on battery backups for now

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, H**L no- seriously???
I would be devastated. It takes hard word and a lot of cash to satock this type of tank - I KNOW. Im filling my generator.
I would need 12 battery operated pumps but I do have two large gyres on battery backups for now
Yea that is / was my issue, nothing has battery pack up. I hooked the return pumps up to the converter in my truck thinking I was going to be ok as we are hardly ever out of power long at all. WRONG we still do not have power going on 40 hours now. I’ve never seen leathers turn to mush until now. Between the heat, low oxygen and I’m sure ammonia I was doomed. There were Euphyllia in the 240 that were the first ever corals I owned, 4 BlackWidow nems, and some rock flower nems that I’ll probably never find again nor be willing to pay what they go for now. And as for the fish the price is the last thing on my mind it’s the sentimental value that is killing me. The Emperor Angel was a gift years ago from my dad hence we all called him Grandpa Fish and my dad passed away 4 years ago. I’ll admit I spent my share of time just looking at the tank this morning with tears in my eyes.
Once power is restored and I can get off the generator the slow journey will resume in the rebuild, I’m not going to let this stop me!

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that is / was my issue, nothing has battery pack up. I hooked the return pumps up to the converter in my truck thinking I was going to be ok as we are hardly ever out of power long at all. WRONG we still do not have power going on 40 hours now. I’ve never seen leathers turn to mush until now. Between the heat, low oxygen and I’m sure ammonia I was doomed. There were Euphyllia in the 240 that were the first ever corals I owned, 4 BlackWidow nems, and some rock flower nems that I’ll probably never find again nor be willing to pay what they go for now. And as for the fish the price is the last thing on my mind it’s the sentimental value that is killing me. The Emperor Angel was a gift years ago from my dad hence we all called him Grandpa Fish and my dad passed away 4 years ago. I’ll admit I spent my share of time just looking at the tank this morning with tears in my eyes.
Once power is restored and I can get off the generator the slow journey will resume in the rebuild, I’m not going to let this stop me!
Terrible situation to have to deal with but it is uplifting to see your positive attitude. Hard/impossible to replace loved ones from a sentimental standpoint.

Stay positive, you have an unbelievable setup that offers limitless possibilities. Good luck in your recovery.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible situation to have to deal with but it is uplifting to see your positive attitude. Hard/impossible to replace loved ones from a sentimental standpoint.

Stay positive, you have an unbelievable setup that offers limitless possibilities. Good luck in your recovery.
Thank you!

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I never heard back from my buddy so I tested my 100 gallon holding tank 3 times for everything I have a kit for and parameters came back as
Alk 8.3 dkh
Ca 420 ppm
Mg 1380 ppm
PO4 0.05 ppm
NO3 10-15 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79
Now let’s hope the 2 baby Yellow Tangs, baby Scopas Tang, Niger Trigger, baby Six Line Wrasse, and Diamond Goby that were in the hold tank and are the only fish I have left play nice with the new additions.
I finally got to use my R2R frag rack from last years membership!
65EBFAE6-D700-48CF-9A3A-31CA91E970F9.jpeg

And one with the lights fully on then back into acclimation mode they go.
2714316C-C008-4ACF-9824-9023DA005765.jpeg

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to move the Apex over to the holding tank so I can use my DOS once I get a base line on consumption. Maybe I can con the wife into letting me get a few more DOS units for water changes as well, and just set all the tanks up on the Apex. Yea I can hear it now NO your not drilling holes in my floor to run cables and tubing!

Last edited:

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses, we will most likely get a direct hit from hurricane here, I’m preparing to see how I can manage as I just repurchased fish which I have in qt after losing my tank to velvet

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses, we will most likely get a direct hit from hurricane here, I’m airing to se how I can manage as I just repurchased fish which I have in qt after losing my tank to velvet
I hate to hear that. Get the biggest generator you can and plenty of fuel. Y’all will be in my thoughts and prayers that this storm turns back east away from land.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This one was hard to see. So sorry. Stay positive....and it sure looks like that's what you're doing.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This one was hard to see. So sorry. Stay positive....and it sure looks like that's what you're doing.
I’m trying! Hard lesson but now I should be prepared. Going to look into a chiller to have on standby as well. As long as we have poor I should never need a chiller but it would have possibly saved my tank if I had one and a generator ready vs the route I took.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If this is words of encouragement that will restore confidence .......,.. I lost everything in my 360g a couple of years ago. It was just devastating as i had a mixed reef and it was packed with mature pieces and colonies
I made it an opportunity to rescape the tank.
Tank looked so much better.
This was tank before leak happened:

82786E45-CDE7-4C21-AB64-B672BAA2837C.jpeg
B1802277-9CD8-4086-B747-1F8AD8C80F00.jpeg
24A8598C-2F6E-45A3-98D5-8EF297DBE775.jpeg

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your lose, it’s a bummer when you get that fish you sort after, things at first go well but all off a sudden there’s no explanation why you fish suddenly dies even though it was eating and doing fine. Could be down to other tank mates harassing it, or if it’s wild caught maybe it had caught something. Hope you have better luck!

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! It sure was nice sleeping with AC and a fan last night. Now that I have power I’ll be draining the system, removing all the dead corals and such from the rock work and restarting the tanks. I hope to have everything refilled by tomorrow and letting everything basically recycle. I have to leave on a 3 week business trip Sunday so I’ll use that time to allow it to settle out. I’ll dump in 2 big bottles of Microbac7 once it’s filled, a few pieces of krill and let it be.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more positive news!!! While taking the 240 apart 3 of the 4 BlackWidow Anemones perked up! I put the large rock they are all attached to in the 300 gallon tote half full with fresh saltwater mix, reached into the tank to grab more rock, then when I went to put the rock I just grabbed into the tote I say some slight color from what I thought was just mush. Grabbed that rock again gave it a gentle swish and low and behold 2 more started to open! 1 feel apart when I moved the rock but the other 3 have a fighting chance!!! Going to move them into a clean bucket with a bubbler for now, I may be able to save some of the mushrooms and maybe a few hammers!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back