HOB Filter for Reef?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I was looking into doing an upgrade from my Fluval Evo 13.5, and I really like the Evo’s aio setup not dealing with all the sump filtration underneath. I was looking at flex tanks, biocubes, etc., and then wondered how hard it might be to upgrade the tank on my own in a manageable, affordable way (of course, “affordable” and “reef” hardly go hand-in-hand lol). Would the Seachem Tidal Hang on Back filter, combined with a wavemaker and lighting system, be sufficient enough to create a reef, or would I be better off sticking with sumps and/or buying one of the pre-built aios I’ve been looking into?

Losirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need an ATO to replace all the evaporation caused by the HOB's "waterfall". Sumps can be pretty cheap if you DIY, like using a 20 gallon long and adding chambers / baffles

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I was looking into doing an upgrade from my Fluval Evo 13.5, and I really like the Evo’s aio setup not dealing with all the sump filtration underneath. I was looking at flex tanks, biocubes, etc., and then wondered how hard it might be to upgrade the tank on my own in a manageable, affordable way (of course, “affordable” and “reef” hardly go hand-in-hand lol). Would the Seachem Tidal Hang on Back filter, combined with a wavemaker and lighting system, be sufficient enough to create a reef, or would I be better off sticking with sumps and/or buying one of the pre-built aios I’ve been looking into?
I have a 16 gal very simple reef tank that has a tidal as the only filtration. I clean the filter weekly along with a 5gal water change. It's easy and works fine although I just have easy coral in this tank.
20220303_174216.jpg

To maintain alk/ca I use vinegar super-saturated with kalkwasser. It's like a slurry actually so pH jumps a little when I dose it but seems to be ok.

Back