HOB overflows?

onlytoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody used any of the hang on back overflow boxes before that don't require drilling?

When I do eventually upgrade, I would rather save money where I can and I love the look of shallower tanks, but don't really want to fork out thousand upon thousands on a custom build or one of waterboxs frag tanks, which I'm unlikely to find second hand

All Pond Solutions do a decent size tank (120cm long) which I was thinking of having an overflow box on, as I would likely mess up drilling so I could have a sump below - plus it could be a peninsula!

Would love to know your opinions!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some people love their HOB overflows, but after having issues in the past with them I now will always go with a drilled tank (whether I drill it myself or get one that is pre-drilled). Good luck with whatever you decide!

ilikebeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Conchman, hands down the best HOB that's out there. I Live in SW Florida and
have multiple outages a year here, always stays primed and starts right up.
Just make sure there is going enough flow through the clear U tubes, if you start seeing air
bubbles to accumulate it doesn't have enough flow.
Also very important, the manufacture of lifereef will be always there to answer questions
and give support, a Big plus for me these days.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few tips on HOB overflows…

1) NEVER restrict the drain line in any way. You only have one drain line. Keep it free and clear of any restrictions.

2) Get rid of the prefilter sponge in the drain side of the box. They clog very easily.

3) To manage/reduce the gurgling noise, look into making a Stockman standpipe. This standpipe replaces the prefilter sponge.

I ran an HOB overflow for years without issue following the above tips.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a 120g with a dual HOB overflow. It worked for me for 10+ years but after that run, I will never have another HOB overflow. The clear U-tubes get algae in them and need cleaned frequently then having to mess around restarting the siphon on 2 - U-tubes without an air bubble. Or snails getting into them, or air bubbles building up inside the tube eventually slowing it down to much. I hated it. I would go out of my way to find or drill the tank just NOT to mess with an HOB overflow

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a 220 with dual HOB. Neither Lifereef but made the same way & never a problem as long as there were no bubbles in the tubes, the water should pull any all the way out of the tube.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have one if there is any interest. I would prefer somewhere on LI because it was designed to take care of a 60-80 gallon tank with filtration( Flex Rings) & is a very long unit.
$50, shipping would be a bear.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hob overflow not my choice but the budget’s lol it works well , I have it paired with a tom aqua lifter to syphon even after electricity dies , it works cost about 40$. You will need to clean the tubing monthly otherwise algae can build up

Attachments

• F0087563-421E-49D6-82F5-920101E91892.jpeg
    F0087563-421E-49D6-82F5-920101E91892.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 37

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the stockman, although mine are the “dirty” version using the gasket from a PVC compression fitting to hold the union silencer in place. Big thing with the HOB are to keep the stockman clean and to clean the u tube.

I’ve also found that matching the return pump flow with the flow rate of the drain keeps air trapped in the u down. In my case I’m using 300GPH overflows (obviously that’s thereoretical/ideal conditions you will never achieve). Doing some simple math to adjust the DC return pump rate accordingly made a world of difference. For example, I have a 660 GPH return pump running a reactor. Sooooo……….I calculated that running my pump at 0.45 gives me 296 GPH from the return. Doing some fine adjustment from there and profit! No more air trapped in the u tube and less gurgling from the stockman.

obviously, this only holds for a DC pump. In other scenarios you would have to control the return flow with valves but the idea holds the same.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody used any of the hang on back overflow boxes before that don't require drilling?

When I do eventually upgrade, I would rather save money where I can and I love the look of shallower tanks, but don't really want to fork out thousand upon thousands on a custom build or one of waterboxs frag tanks, which I'm unlikely to find second hand

All Pond Solutions do a decent size tank (120cm long) which I was thinking of having an overflow box on, as I would likely mess up drilling so I could have a sump below - plus it could be a peninsula!

Would love to know your opinions!

Use them on everything. Build a big one and put a skimmer, heater or uv build when needed. Very simple. No holes.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back