HOB Protein Skimmer

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I currently don't have a protein skimmer, but I am looking to get a HOB protein skimmer. I have a 46 gallon bow front tank. I am thinking about adding this to my tank soon, but am looking for suggestions. If you could list your suggestions. I am not trying to break the bank on a HOB protein skimmer, but what are your suggestions for "the best bang for your buck" Thanks for all the suggestions!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a reef Octopus for years with no issues. Pulls lots of gunk for a hob skimmer.

Here's a link;

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I currently don't have a protein skimmer, but I am looking to get a HOB protein skimmer. I have a 46 gallon bow front tank. I am thinking about adding this to my tank soon, but am looking for suggestions. If you could list your suggestions. I am not trying to break the bank on a HOB protein skimmer, but what are your suggestions for "the best bang for your buck" Thanks for all the suggestions!
Remora! Fantastic but and worth the $...also overbuy for size it is worth it.

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remora! Fantastic but and worth the $...also overbuy for size it is worth it.
They are very simple.. no "dialing it in" perfect for begginers

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the tunze myself. They basically look like an internal overflow box. RO has a workhorse but its $$$. It also looks like the backpack Ghostbusters wore.

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best HOB skimmer on the market imo. Only issue is cost. I have the model above it on my 75gal tank and it really pulls out the gunk. I've never seen such dry foam.
Me too, I have the deltec MCE600 in my 75 gallon tank and it is perfect

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pric
I'm using this HOB skimmer for my coral QT setup - AquaTop Xyclone. It's not super quiet, but it works like a champ and the price point is pretty dang low.
The price point on that is great! Is it extremely loud? The tank is right in my living room. I wouldn't want something to excessive.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pric

The price point on that is great! Is it extremely loud? The tank is right in my living room. I wouldn't want something to excessive.

As long as you don't completely remove the air intake hose plug its not too bad. I removed the end cap on mine to let it run wide open since its in the basement any way

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't completely remove the air intake hose plug its not too bad. I removed the end cap on mine to let it run wide open since its in the basement any way
Good To know that's important! The price is hard to beat! I am definitely going to do more research.

Spkarim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Macro Aqua M50 for my 40g. It is cheaper than others at $70 and seems to work OK so far

2D533737-BFBA-4ECB-9BA8-E2C867C7FB2D.jpeg 374781EA-78F6-45A2-860C-1F9755DEB4C5.jpeg

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, I have the deltec MCE600 in my 75 gallon tank and it is perfect

Delete produces great products and I'm sure this skimmer is one, but I just looked at new one on ebay for $519. eek.... I'm sure prices are wide. It does have a area for carbon etc. Nice unit.

Here's one review on a site I trust. I've heard it's rated up to 90g.

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Bought an aquamaxx 1.5 HOB second hand off someone on this site. It's a beast. I think there are several good ones out there but they all make noise with the huge amount of air incorporation / bubble generation.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back