HOB refugium lighting

trav_shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a large CPR Aquafuge (24"x4")on my 50 gallon tank in the beginning of January. I have been using a Fluval reef LED fixture because it fit perfectly and I already owned it. The refugium has become an algae factory, just not the algae I want to grow. I'm thinking that the light is not the appropriate spectrum to foster cheato growth. Does anybody have recommendations on better light for this setup.
Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a large CPR Aquafuge (24"x4")on my 50 gallon tank in the beginning of January. I have been using a Fluval reef LED fixture because it fit perfectly and I already owned it. The refugium has become an algae factory, just not the algae I want to grow. I'm thinking that the light is not the appropriate spectrum to foster cheato growth. Does anybody have recommendations on better light for this setup.
Thanks
First off, Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor (1).gif

Chaeto does best under red and blue light to promote Chlorophyll A and Chlorophyll B. For a smaller fuge you could use something like the Kessil A80, or there are also inexpensive lights on amazon or ebay such as https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horti...pID=51f4tUhUovL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch with a standard light bulb reflector :)

OP
OP
trav_shock

trav_shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply,
I was looking at the kessil H80. I just didn't know if it would work on the HOB fuge.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply,
I was looking at the kessil H80. I just didn't know if it would work on the HOB fuge.
Yeah, finding a way to mount it could prove to be challanging. either the mounting arm or the canopy bracket.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back