Hobby grade “quarantine” probably kills more fish than it saves.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not quote posts from the first ten pages of the fish disease forum for success vs fail on public tanks

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as long as you have positive results it proves your point obviously . Since you found Paul's post that encourages your methodology of dump and pray , do yourself a favor and type in "velvet" in the search bar .
I totally get why people don’t want to QT. it’s complicated, large learning curve, less simple than buying new fish and having that instant gratification that we people cannot live without.

But for me (anecdotal experience) waking up every day to a new fish dead on my powerhead + having a thorough fish examination every time I passed the tank REALLY sucked the fun for me. This was my LAST straw at ich management:

3730AFA1-543F-4AE1-93B8-C3A326822787.jpeg
99C3B77E-8579-48B3-9DB0-2804854A1059.jpeg

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found him:

This guy PAulB has been keeping saltwater fish for 50 years, also does not beleive in QT. So he is the luckiest guy in the world? or do you have it backwards...
Good luck trying to mimic his way. There's very few that can do what he does. While proper qurantine has worked for way more people and public aquariums than the other.

OP
OP
Pete_the_Puma

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great…so what’s the problem? I understand if you just wanted to vent. I highly recommend QT for myself because I personally failed at ich management many times.

At the end everyone will do what’s best for themselves. No judgement at all. :)

The problem is that the majority of hobby reefers set up terrible tanks for QT and end up killing fish that would have otherwise survived.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. Read the first post on about 15-20 threads. It seems by far the most common story is: Bought the fish, fish was fine, put it in QT, now a few days later fish is dying, help.
Those posts don't compare to the endless posts of people having fish with ich in their display. And not knowing what to do.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck trying to mimic his way. There's very few that can do what he does. While proper qurantine has worked for way more people and public aquariums than the other.
It’s true! Paul B’s method involves culturing black/white worms and collecting mud/ocean water often. If you don’t continuously reintroduce parasites the fish won’t become immune. It’s really difficult and risky when you have $$$$ on the line. People need the most effective and proven methods.

Fun fact: most public aquariums quarantine all their livestock prior to adding them to the tank. This is including those 10,000+ gallon tanks you see.

OP
OP
Pete_the_Puma

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Public aquariums have the resources to set up proper QT tanks, the average reefer does not.

I wish we could somehow get data on this, I know its impossible but I would bet 100$ that more fish are killed by being dumped into tiny sterile tanks for weeks (average QT) than whatever disease we were trying to prevent.

OP
OP
Pete_the_Puma

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s true! Paul B’s method involves culturing black/white worms and collecting mud/ocean water often. If you don’t continuously reintroduce parasites the fish won’t become immune. It’s really difficult and risky when you have $$$$ on the line. People need the most effective and proven methods.

Fun fact: most public aquariums quarantine all their livestock prior to adding them to the tank. This is including those 10,000+ gallon tanks you see.
Again, I agree the huge public aquariums have the means to set up a proper separate system, the average reefer does not.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Public aquariums have the resources to set up proper QT tanks, the average reefer does not.

I wish we could somehow get data on this, I know its impossible but I would bet 100$ that more fish are killed by being dumped into tiny sterile tanks for weeks (average QT) than whatever disease we were trying to prevent.
If you are only buying cheap damsels (what fish do people without resources purchase?) then you can skip quarantine. The effort isn’t worth the replacement cost.

But having expensive fish and a large tank means more return on investment! One Achilles tang costs $300. That alone pays for all my QT costs. Now imagine if all my fish die from that 1 fish. It’s proven that properly QT’d fish live better than non. Would you let your pet dog live his life and get immune to his fleas (a parasite?)

OP
OP
Pete_the_Puma

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so look at this, the FIRST THREAD about QT tank on the main R2R page:

The guy wants to put 5-10 fish, tangs and large Angelfish in a 30 GALLON QT TANK!

I understand you guys with years of experience like me know how to run a proper QT system but the average new reefer does not, read that thread lol.

6 tangs and a large Angelfish in a 30 gal !!!!

Aimforever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT has helped me catch, identify, treat and most importantly avoid introducing multiple diseases into my display. I wouldn’t do it any other way.

My biggest suggestions to remedy your concerns:

1. Use old DT water for QT tank.
2. Use several of the fake vinyl FW tank plants from your local pet store for hiding places. Fish love it, don’t get stressed, and they can be bleached along with everything else between uses.
3. Match shipping bag salinity with QT water while floating for temp, then use strainer to catch fish and dump in right away. No drip acclimation needed.

I have had tremendous success with many fish, even those that are classically hard to keep, by using this approach!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I agree the huge public aquariums have the means to set up a proper separate system, the average reefer does not.
Contrary to popular belief, quarantine need not to be expensive. 1 10-20 gallon tank. Cheap wavemaker, heater, pump. Ammonia badge. That’s it.

Of course there’s the salt water, nets, siphon tubing etc.

I’m not saying you MUST quarantine. There’s no law. Just trying to allow you to come to your conclusion on your own.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say probably so because you are assuming that a person can set up not 1 but 2 saltwater aquariums. Most people seem to have enough problems with the first 1.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so look at this, the FIRST THREAD about QT tank on the main R2R page:

The guy wants to put 5-10 fish, tangs and large Angelfish in a 30 GALLON QT TANK!

I understand you guys with years of experience like me know how to run a proper QT system but the average new reefer does not, read that thread lol.
That doesn’t mean anything. Inexperienced people always tend to overestimate how many fish can fit in tanks. Do you know how many people stick tangs into small display tanks? Does that mean display tanks are bad and reef keeping should be stopped?

He’s making a thread and trying to get informed which is good. Nobody was born knowing this stuff.

OP
OP
Pete_the_Puma

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t mean anything. Inexperienced people always tend to overestimate how many fish can fit in tanks. Do you know how many people stick tangs into small display tanks? Does that mean display tanks are bad and reef keeping should be stopped?

He’s making a thread and trying to get informed which is good. Nobody was born knowing this stuff.
No,

But as I stated earlier his fish would have a much better chance at surviving if he puts them directly in the "6 feet" display tank rather than having 6 tangs and an emperor Angle in a 30 gal QT tank...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back