Holy Grail

What would you pay if the funds were there?

• $400

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • $600

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • $800

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • $1,000

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • $1,200

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • $1,400

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1,600

• $1,800

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • $2,000

• Total voters

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its all personal preference when buying corals. I'd like to see what your thoughts are about this beautiful torch, and lets take a poll to see what everyone thinks it's worth. There are 2 really decent size heads. I'm not selling it but I've seen prices across the board with these pieces and I just thought this would be fun.
Screenshot_20220116-205951_Gmail.jpg

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left my vote out as I'm the one who bought it. But I'll be honest on what I paid at the end. I love this hobby and just to make this a little more fun I'll pick one member from the poll that is in the same price as I paid and when it's time that I am ready to frag I'll give one head away, you'll just have to pay for the shipping.

Good luck and happy reefing.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no picture showing, but I'd never pay $400 for a coral much less $2000.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t pay more than maybe $200 (and that’d be unlikely). To me it’s just not that colorful and not that different from a torch that costs less than $100. I think people have lost their minds when it comes to torches. Slight variations in somewhat drab colors being the difference between $75 and $1200 is just crazy. Personally, I don’t find torches or Euphyllia/Fimbriaphyllia all that interesting, I have a few, and they’re okay, but they don’t speak to me the way a lot of other LPS do. I think my favorite torches are the fluorescent green with pink tips, which are generally overpriced, but not crazy.

Coral trends come and go, paying more than a couple hundred for any coral is shortsighted, once you’ve seen a few of these booms go bust, you start to realize just how artificially inflated these prices are. I remember when basic micro lords (back when they were acans) and chalices were selling for just stupid prices, I remember when Hollywood Stunners were hundreds of dollars. I learned my lesson with trendy corals a long time ago. In general, trends are for the anxious and the impatient, qualities which are not conducive to being successful in this hobby long term.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t pay more than maybe $200 (and that’d be unlikely). To me it’s just not that colorful and not that different from a torch that costs less than $100. I think people have lost their minds when it comes to torches. Slight variations in somewhat drab colors being the difference between $75 and $1200 is just crazy. Personally, I don’t find torches or Euphyllia/Fimbriaphyllia all that interesting, I have a few, and they’re okay, but they don’t speak to me the way a lot of other LPS do. I think my favorite torches are the fluorescent green with pink tips, which are generally overpriced, but not crazy.

Coral trends come and go, paying more than a couple hundred for any coral is shortsighted, once you’ve seen a few of these booms go bust, you start to realize just how artificially inflated these prices are. I remember when basic micro lords (back when they were acans) and chalices were selling for just stupid prices, I remember when Hollywood Stunners were hundreds of dollars. I learned my lesson with trendy corals a long time ago. In general, trends are for the anxious and the impatient, qualities which are not conducive to being successful in this hobby long term.
I agree as far as it just being a name or a dash of different colors than normally seen, but I've seen people pay thousands of dollars for certain corals. This was just supposed to be fun and entertaining.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted $ 1200.00 not because that's what I would pay but just to play game on what I think you paid ^_^

At momemt I wouldnt buy any torch as had 3 in last 6 months and they lasted .....
4 months
1 day
5 weeks
Then just slowly receded and died pffft

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm in the same boat as you on the color. There are several torches out there that I would pay a "holy grail" price for long before I would buy an actual holy grail. I agree it is a fad but it has been a long fad. Yellow/gold torches were already higher than I thought they should be way before indo shut down a few years ago. In the end it is just a hobby and I don't let the prices bother me too much. Just like video cards currently, if people are willing to pay that much then they can do it. I may just have to give up gaming if my current video card dies.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted $ 1200.00 not because that's what I would pay but just to play game on what I think you paid ^_^

At momemt I wouldnt buy any torch as had 3 in last 6 months and they lasted .....
4 months
1 day
5 weeks
Then just slowly receded and died pffft
Thanks that was what this was all about really. Just to have a little fun going into this new year.

saltybeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think it’s beautiful! It reminds me of a gorgeously regal velvet couch. If you have the funds and it makes you happy, it’s worth it…. But I think we’ve waited long enough - how much did you pay?!

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think it’s beautiful! It reminds me of a gorgeously regal velvet couch. If you have the funds and it makes you happy, it’s worth it…. But I think we’ve waited long enough - how much did you pay?!
Haha now that's what was needed a little humor, and no I will wait for the entire poll. That will give some people that actually like it and would purchase it a chance for their guess and a chance at a freebie down the road.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy what I can afford to replace. I think my most expensive coral to-date was a $250 dragon soul torch (about 1/2 the size of his originally, but it's close to this size now).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back