Home Renovation

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
A few weeks back we had a pipe burst in our kitchen which caused a lot of water damage. We are now working with insurance to restore our hardwood floors. One of the locations that will be impacted is my home office which houses my 180 gallon display tank. Trying to think through the best options of protecting the tank as I won't be able to be by the tank as the floors are being restored - which would be sanding and refinishing.

During the sanding portion, how concerned should I be about the sawdust that's going to come from sanding the floors?

I suppose I could place a plastic covering around the tank to keep sawdust out, but that would lead to very little air circulation I'm thinking. If it's for 3 days, how bad would that be?

In regards to refinishing the floors, the only thing I could think of would be the fumes from the stains. How concerned should I be with this?

I'm not sure if I should go extreme and just break down the entire tank for a few days and house it somewhere else. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nate

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most floor treatments have very low VOC anymore, but there are some like OSMO or Rubio Monocoat that have no VOC.

Just put a moving blanket over it for the dust. Open a window with a fan in it for ventilation. Ask the workers to mitre the wood outside or in the garage. You might be surprised how excellent the dust collection is in most modern floor sanders.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dust as hard as you try will remain for days but all should float on surface of water, buy a cheap surface skimmer or even two just to remove extra dust particles, as suggested cut outside if possible

OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most floor treatments have very low VOC anymore, but there are some like OSMO or Rubio Monocoat that have no VOC.

Just put a moving blanket over it for the dust. Open a window with a fan in it for ventilation. Ask the workers to mitre the wood outside or in the garage. You might be surprised how excellent the dust collection is in most modern floor sanders.
Thanks for the reply. Being that the wood is already installed, and what they will be doing is just sanding down the wood and refinish it, they’re not going to be able to do much in the garage. I’m thinking this doesn’t change your answer right?
So with that, I’m thinking I should be fine just getting an auto feeder for the few days that they’re working on the floor, put up a blanket and be done with it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just a small time wood hobbyist and I have dust collectors that get nearly everything. These refinishers should be able to get most of the dust. It would not be much of a business model if they covered everybody's home in dust. :) Do you know what kind of finish that they are using? If it is low/no VOC, then you should be set. Just be smart, open some windows when the finish is curing and cover the tank when you can. You should be OK.

Your tank pH could drop if you leave a blanket on for too long, so remove it when you can.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just a small time wood hobbyist and I have dust collectors that get nearly everything. These refinishers should be able to get most of the dust. It would not be much of a business model if they covered everybody's home in dust. :) Do you know what kind of finish that they are using? If it is low/no VOC, then you should be set. Just be smart, open some windows when the finish is curing and cover the tank when you can. You should be OK.

Your tank pH could drop if you leave a blanket on for too long, so remove it when you can.
That’s a good thought regarding the blanket and ph. I’ll get more detail as I talk with different contractors. Really appreciate the comments.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through something similar with asbestos abatement under my staircase and with some older asbestos ridden drywall removal last summer as I had a pipe burst in the wall. Ended up covering the tank and ran an air pump from outside to the display while they removed everything. Did a 20% water change before & aftern they were done. Also ran fresh carbon. No losses. Didnt have potential VOC issues, but it was fumes and crap in the air galore for a few days.

ulrichgood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about the water damage and the upcoming renovation. It's essential to take precautions to protect your 180-gallon display tank during the process. For the sanding part, covering the tank with plastic can help minimize sawdust, but you're right to consider air circulation. You might want to create some openings for airflow or use a fan to ensure some ventilation.
Remember to communicate your concerns with the professionals handling the renovation and discuss your plan with your insurance company. And for additional advice, you can check out https://www.scottste.co.uk/metal-web-joists/. Best of luck with the renovation and keeping your tank safe!

Last edited:

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just finishing a two year remodel with wall tear downs. Lots of dust and wood finishing tank about 10’ away down open stairway. Covered with plastic tarps from Home Depot no ill effects. That’s with drywall dust wood dust and polyurethane finishes on wood. Just be smart and cover entire time and you should be good.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the comments. Finished up with the sanding and staining this week. Covered the tank with plastic wrap, and cut a few slits in the wrap to help with circulation. Tank is still looking good, and all parameters in the tank are right in line where I expect them to be.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back