Homewrecker polyps retracted

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know how this goes. All my other acros are fine. Water parameters are good. My RO/DI is at 0 tds. Salinity is good (double checked and calibrated).....

I acclimated my HW, RR OP, and WWC Ding Dang all the same. Mounted them on the same day. The other two are doing great. My HW still has color but the polyps are retracted. Any reason for concern. BTW they have been placed for 1 week. The frags were on a rack in the same tank.

They are in 500 par. On the frag rack they were in 350 PAR. But they came from a system with 650 PAR.

Let me know what you think!

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know how this goes. All my other acros are fine. Water parameters are good. My RO/DI is at 0 tds. Salinity is good (double checked and calibrated).....

I acclimated my HW, RR OP, and WWC Ding Dang all the same. Mounted them on the same day. The other two are doing great. My HW still has color but the polyps are retracted. Any reason for concern. BTW they have been placed for 1 week. The frags were on a rack in the same tank.

They are in 500 par. On the frag rack they were in 350 PAR. But they came from a system with 650 PAR.

Let me know what you think!

Not all SPS enjoy a high par/light.. 500 par is a lot try moving them down slightly.. she might open up for you [emoji848][emoji1305]

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just stressed from the bump in par. I agree 500 is a lot. My HW is at 350 par and loving it.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenuis Love nutrients or at least all mine do, be sure you have a good level of N/P with that amount of light.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, however my other tenuis are rocking(including the ones I bought from you :) ) But as an added measure I have been feeding more roids and aminos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edfdaf1af2c433ebf9e794dd1fa97e55.jpg

My highly technical PAR reducer!!!! At about 350 with it installed on my tank!!!

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e1956b0b03a41ebbcaef8c8cc6884d8d.jpg

The little nub in the middle is my little HW. You can see the WD to the left and RR OP to the right.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just need a little time. Unless a coral is showing burn or bleaching I just let it adjust to the light on its own. Sometimes a coral will pale or brown but after a few weeks they always come around. Sometimes it can take a few days to weeks for PE to start to show as well.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the top is dying based on how it looks today. I honestly am at a loss why it didn’t do well. Everything else from that purchase is doing great. And they were all placed at the same time.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pic of it today? Also, what's your N&P at, flow too? If it came from 650 par, I don't think lighting is the issue. Your light set up looks pretty solid for growing corals in that range of par, if you were using mainly LEDs, then lighting might have been a concern. jmo

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s dying. I couldn’t even take a pic of it. N is at 1ppm, 0.05ppm for P. High flow. My tank is a legit 100x and all my other tenuis’ love it.

Thanks for the input. I am scratching my head.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s dead. I love burning money. My nitrates were below 1. Wondering if that might have been the reason.

JLowder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too came home to find 4 corals all bleached.
Salinity: 1.025
Mag: 1425
Calc: 450
Alk: 8.75

Other colors seem happy.

I too “love” burning money.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t feel bad, I lost one too. I got 2 others that came with my order that are doing fantastic. The HW decided to rtn on me within a week or so being in the tank. Sometimes they get stressed and don’t come back. ;Meh

The first one was shipped and packaged incredibly well, even arrived in perfect condition with PE while still in the bag and water temp in the bag was a nice 75f.

Oddly, the second one I purchased I thought for sure I will eventually lose it too. The water in the bag was below 65f when it arrived. None of this was seller’s fault of course. But to this day, the 2nd frag is still doing great and encrusting well .

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back