Horseshoe crab

Puppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1470782952.561829.jpg

Saw this little guy in a 10 gallon tank at a local all pets club store. It's about the size of a quarter maybe tiny bit bigger. Thoughts on putting in a 45 gallon reef tank?
I understand it's going to get bigger, I'm just looking for something to sift my sand , with my diamond goby i have to rescape because he like a hurricane on sand bed.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really would not, they do not do well in aquariums for a number of reasons. Save yourself the hassle and get some Nassarius Snails, they sift the sand and are great members of a CuC

Ashley L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 50gal reef for two years before moving it. It got the size of the palm of my hand. They grow slowly. He never bothered anything and would surface from under the sand a few times a day. I have read plenty of posts where they have supposedly eaten small fish, so be careful of your goby. However, mine never bothered any fish and was great for sifting my sand

OP
OP
Puppy

Puppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get rid of the goby. Plus i have bristleworms i was hoping the horseshoe crab would eat them.
I haven't gotten it, I'm still reading everyone's opinion and doing research before I do it. What frustrates me as this diamond goby was sold to me as an orange spotted goby, this thing is like a hurricane in my tank, every morning i come home from work I see it looks like a F5 storm rolled through. The bristleworms are what i want gone also.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get rid of the goby. Plus i have bristleworms i was hoping the horseshoe crab would eat them.
I haven't gotten it, I'm still reading everyone's opinion and doing research before I do it. What frustrates me as this diamond goby was sold to me as an orange spotted goby, this thing is like a hurricane in my tank, every morning i come home from work I see it looks like a F5 storm rolled through. The bristleworms are what i want gone also.
I have never seen horseshoe crabs do well longterm. They aren't for most tanks.

Conchs and nassarius will keep the sand clean. An arrow crab will hunt bristleworms.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a few months. Would rarely see it. Every so often it would swim around the tank banging into corals. IMHO, this ones best left in the ocean.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back