Hot weather has arrived in many states- How are you keeping your tank cool?

What is your method to keep tank temperature down in Hot weather?

• Fan

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • Ice Packs

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Chiller unit

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Air conditioning

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see these super low monthly bill flexes, but rarely hear about the twenty plus grand after incentives that was spent to get there. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for solar it’s just a hard pill to swallow for me when you pencil out how many years it takes to just break even
Just think how much cheaper it would be if the government wasn't giving the 30% tax credit. The solar companies are making a killing with an easy 30% pure profit on top of their normal profit. They don't want to mess with small jobs either. I have a coworker that has had them for several years and needed a couple of more panels because their family had grown and they were using more than what there current setup would provide. They couldn't find anyone to just install a couple of panels. She said everyone of them said the job was too small.

Your twenty grand doesn't even get close if you are wanting batteries which I would if I ever got them. I've heard from several sources that the metals used in the batteries are going to be in short supply by the end of 2024 if current demand keeps going the way it is and prices will get much worse then.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modified Laptop stand fan that gets mounted to the tank to blow length wise.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for taking the time to post this- Ouch. Im Florida bound and this is insane. My current average is $112 per month
My bill in DFW area used to run around $350 in the summer. After natural gas prices more than doubled last year my bill last summer was closer to $700/mo. I really need to look into doing some energy efficient things to the house but everything that can be done is very expensive. My upstairs was at 80 degrees this afternoon and the a/c was set to 76. My weather app said the heat index this afternoon was close to 120.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot on. My neighbor just spent $30K on new solar panels. Even here in sunny Colorado he's estimating he'll need to stay in his house for upwards of 20 years to make up for the initial cost. Until the set-up price comes down significantly, it just doesn't seem worth it.
And the salesmen never tell you the average homeowner moves every 7 years in the US.

You should see the hungry wolves pounce when someone in our neighborhood mentions high electricity bills.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My bill in DFW area used to run around $350 in the summer. After natural gas prices more than doubled last year my bill last summer was closer to $700/mo. I really need to look into doing some energy efficient things to the house but everything that can be done is very expensive. My upstairs was at 80 degrees this afternoon and the a/c was set to 76. My weather app said the heat index this afternoon was close to 120.
Thats insane. How do people retire? Thats half of an average social security check

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats insane. How do people retire? Thats half of an average social security check
The wife and I have already said we are moving out of Texas when we retire. We live in what some call the ghetto of Frisco and my property taxes are over $7k this year.
A lot of it is the house. It is almost 25 years old and the newer homes are much more efficient. Plus for some stupid reason the house is a 2 story 2500sq/ft home and only has 1 a/c unit. If I had known that was a bad fit we would have gone with the bigger house that came with 2 units. Also, house is 100% electric and I'm on a Co-op so I can't choose my electric company like many can in Texas. Another minus is most of this area was pasture land so there are no trees. Only trees are the 1 tree the builder put in the front yard of each house.

CCAF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lids, open windows at night when it’s cooler, desk fan with bowl of ice and cold water in front of it, fan for sump, finally installed a mini split AC in the past year for the room, but still take advantage of cheap/free options when I can.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife and I have already said we are moving out of Texas when we retire. We live in what some call the ghetto of Frisco and my property taxes are over $7k this year.
A lot of it is the house. It is almost 25 years old and the newer homes are much more efficient. Plus for some stupid reason the house is a 2 story 2500sq/ft home and only has 1 a/c unit. If I had known that was a bad fit we would have gone with the bigger house that came with 2 units. Also, house is 100% electric and I'm on a Co-op so I can't choose my electric company like many can in Texas. Another minus is most of this area was pasture land so there are no trees. Only trees are the 1 tree the builder put in the front yard of each house.
My house in Chicago property tax was $14k. We moved to Florida and now it's $6k.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved here to Arizona, I thought that for sure I would need a chiller. But because we keep the house cool year round, there's no need for it.

Yesterday the outside temperature got to 107°F but my tank didn't care, the hottest it got (according to the temp probe) was 78.2°F.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back