How are you prepping for vacation away from your reef aquarium? GIVE US THREE THINGS

Do you take vacations where you have to leave your reef tank?

• Yes, several weeks at a time

Votes: 33 8.7%
  • Yes, a couple weeks at a time

Votes: 88 23.2%
  • Yes but only one week at a time

Votes: 161 42.5%
  • Yes but only a few days

Votes: 70 18.5%
  • No vacations for me away from my tank

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's about that time again and many reefers are going to take a vacation! But owning a saltwater reef aquarium and taking extended trips away from your tank can be stressful! So let's talk about vacation tank prepping!

GIVE US THREE TIPS: How do you prepare to leave your tank for an extended time away?

@JMacedo's watching his reef from his phone while on vacation
1599056875769.png

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not an expected reply. I will be travelling for two months. calculated my evaporation rate and purchased a 20 gallon barrel for ATO. Got my dosing all sorted and dialed in. Hooked up an auto fish feeder.
Will keep a camera to monitor the tank. Reason I am doing all of this is because I cant have any one to come over. last year I ended with algae outbreaks because of inexperienced human interventions.

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be taking a 10-day vacation in July.
1. 7 Gallon ATO will be more than enough for my Waterbox 20 evaporation.
2. Auto feeder
3. I’ll be monitoring tank parameters through hydros
4. I will setup one of my home security cameras to watch the tank.
5. I’ll do a standard 20% water change the 2-3 days before leaving town.

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I went away for two weeks. Tunze ATO, Eheim auto feeder and a Ring camera pointing at the tank and temp controller.

This year I have a Yellow Goby who turns his nose up at anything from an auto feeder. Hmm, two months to find a solution...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a trusted experienced reefer stop daily to feed and look tank over
Precautionary, I disabled both my heater and ATO

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going 1,5 week first time. Stresfull because my new Ato is still not working properly.. hopefully will be fixed asap. Got an simple autofeeder ( just for 2 clowns). Planning a bigger waterchange the day before. And installed a camera near the tank to watch on my phone. Light and temperature is fixed automatically with devices.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "up to a week." We take longer vacations than that, but that's the extent that I'm comfortable with leaving my tank "automated" at home without anyone checking on it. We're gone on weekend trips about 1-2 long weekends per month and two or three weeklong (or longer) trips per year. This is essentially what I do:
  • Fill ATO Reservoir
  • Set up Auto feeder
  • Set AC to automatically keep temperature in the condo at a max of 78
  • Water change the day before leaving (inspect tank components during change)
Beyond a week, I pay someone from my LFS to come by a few times. They do a general wellness check on the tank/livestock, refill my ATO, clean the glass, and feed frozen (straight pellets are fine for up to a week, but I normally feed a variety and prefer it if I'm gone a while), etc. It's a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

No matter how long I go away, I always get a pit in my stomach on the trip home. It doesn't go away until I walk in and see my fish swimming and living coral. A tank inspection is the first thing I do after walking in the door and putting luggage down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me the top 3 would be:

1. Cameras - Cameras on the ATO, The SUMP, the vital parts of the system. Things I can look at and have peace or look at and diagnose an issue.

2. Videos - Instructional videos of how to feed the fish, how to adjust this and that if there was something vital that went wrong.

3. Topped OFF - Make sure all the vital "top off" containers are filled and will last. Water, 2 Part etc...

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having someone watch my tank, dog's, and cat while I'm away. I would trust my niece with my life, so I trust her with my tank.

Portioned food in portion cups for each day I'm gone.
Apex alert me if something is wrong, and I can call my niece if something does come up.
Larger then normal ATO

My tank will pretty much run itself, other then feeding the fish.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pull socks, shut down skimmer...LRS in 1oz plastic cups with covers in freezer...extra RODI for ATO (picnic jug with eshoppes float...no automation here)

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 15 days coming up in August and tbh I'm nervous as hell! I've got all the standard automation - lights, ATO (although my rank consumes a fair amount daily, so still trying to work that one out) thermostat, auto pellet feeder... Is there such a thing as an auto feeder for non-dried foods?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take vacations out of the country for 2 weeks. I set things up a week ahead of time to test and do a regular water change a couple of days before I go.

* two heaters with Inkbird controllers are always running in sump but the 2nd heater and probe are moved to the DT
* automatic air bubble set up in DT
* my 5 gallon ATO reservoir switched out to a 20 gallon, I go thru 5 gal a week and more in winter
* two Eheim automatic feeders set at different times (in case one fails)

*Backup return and ATO pumps
*A Wyze camera is set to view the sump and DT. I bought an orange vinyl film to cover it but need something better because I can't make out the coral very well. Any ideas anyone?
* Saltwater for at least 2 water changes (one is for when I return).
* A reefer friend on call and a backup from the LFS for an emergency.

Last, know there is a company in England called "Three Pay as You Go". I use their SIM card for internet/phone service in multiple European countries.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna feed a little heavy a few days before vacation then pre portioned tupperware containers of food. Neighbor will feed every other day. Camera facing tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back