How big do coral beauties come from biota

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone with experience with biota know how big do coral beauties come from biota and how long they take to get fully grown?
They’re generally around an inch when they hit the stores and they can take 6-7 years to grow IME.

Upvote 0

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their website says 2" but the bunch I saw at the LFS were ab out 11/2 ''. We all want big specimens but remember big spcimens are older/live for a shorter time. Wild caught fish may have been caught in the last year of life. A lot of people buy a nice fish that's said to live 5 yrs and when they die a year later they think they did something wrong when really they just bought an elderly specimen.

Upvote 0

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s the thing with wild fish. Coral Beauties get to 4” but that’s the largest specimen on record. Sometimes you get fish that never reach their “potential” size as listed online, in which case it’s luck of the draw as to whether you got an elderly specimen or if it’s still young and fresh.

This is why I much prefer to get CB whenever possible, I know I am getting a fish no more than a year old.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their website says 2" but the bunch I saw at the LFS were ab out 11/2 ''. We all want big specimens but remember big spcimens are older/live for a shorter time. Wild caught fish may have been caught in the last year of life. A lot of people buy a nice fish that's said to live 5 yrs and when they die a year later they think they did something wrong when really they just bought an elderly specimen.
So after they get max size how long do they live after that?

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after they get max size how long do they live after that?
I had one that lasted 13ish years (I can’t remember exactly how long he lasted). Angels are slow growing and known for their long lifespan, they can live even decades (this is more so for the larger angels in Pomacanthus and Holacanthus) after their fully grown.

Upvote 1

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone with experience with biota know how big do coral beauties come from biota and how long they take to get fully grown?
It varies depending on their age when they are shipped from the Biota Palau facility. We note the size for each new batch on the website as they come in. They're out of stock at the moment, and we recommend you sign up for the email in stock alert on the product page to receive an email as soon as they're available for order again.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back