How big do you let bristleworms get?

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the biggest worm today! I did not have my phone close by to take a picture, either. I usually use the camera just to zoom in and see better.

What I saw, could have been a bristleworm. It might have been some other kind of worm, but needless to say I couldn't get it out to know for sure.

It was under an archway, on top of the sand, sticking out from beside a rock...... it was at least 3 inches long exposed, with I dont know how much still hiding. It was in shadow, so not sure of the color. It looked dark. I have seen several 2-4' long bristleworms, with the red-black-red bodies. I usually remove the larger worms as I find them. I put them in a 10 gallon that houses a bunch of pods, so I havent torn it down yet.

Moral of the story - how big is too big?

(And if you dont think that was a bristleworm, do you have any thoughts of what it is?)

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually no more than ~4in, keep in mind that objects in your tank will appear slightly distorted. If it’s a common bristle worm I wouldn’t worry about the size. Related fireworms can get longer but have become increasingly rare as fewer tanks are started with actual live rock.
Try to take a pic next time you see it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back