How big do you let bristleworms get?

Pudge&Bubbl

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
139
Reaction score
143
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the biggest worm today! I did not have my phone close by to take a picture, either. I usually use the camera just to zoom in and see better.

What I saw, could have been a bristleworm. It might have been some other kind of worm, but needless to say I couldn't get it out to know for sure.

It was under an archway, on top of the sand, sticking out from beside a rock...... it was at least 3 inches long exposed, with I dont know how much still hiding. It was in shadow, so not sure of the color. It looked dark. I have seen several 2-4' long bristleworms, with the red-black-red bodies. I usually remove the larger worms as I find them. I put them in a 10 gallon that houses a bunch of pods, so I havent torn it down yet.

Moral of the story - how big is too big?

(And if you dont think that was a bristleworm, do you have any thoughts of what it is?)
 
Oh - it was probably 3-4 mm wide
 
Usually no more than ~4in, keep in mind that objects in your tank will appear slightly distorted. If it’s a common bristle worm I wouldn’t worry about the size. Related fireworms can get longer but have become increasingly rare as fewer tanks are started with actual live rock.
Try to take a pic next time you see it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new