How can I lower my alkalinity?

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I have Redsea reefer 525xl I skipped water changes for two months since I was extremely busy at work I would maintain the tank by cleaning the glass, changing the filters and cleaning the skimmer cup I noticed my alkalinity has been elevating for the last two weeks. I’ve done water changes the first week I did a 15 gallon water change the second week I did a 10 gallon water change and I re-calibrated my trident and still I see my alkalinity raised at the moment I am not dosing, absolutely anything and letting the tank run on it self don’t mind the salinity probe has been a little off. My salinity is @ 102.5

A3CEF5E6-A12A-4B38-854D-F73D7CC8F9CA.jpeg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as for salt mix, what are you using?

And as for topping off, how are you doing that?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also use a test kit to verify the alk before you did anything.

I would turn the trident off and let it go down on it's own.

If this is from a high-alk salt mix, then you can lower alk in salt mix by using an acid. I use Muriatic Acid at (gallons * desired dKh drop * .123) is the number of MLs of acid to use. This will make a lot of co2 and drive the pH low for a day until you drive the co2 out with normal mixing. A day of extra mixing with good surface agitation works for me. Do not add the acid to a running tank if you don't want the pH to get to like 6. :(

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tap water has high Alk but if your using rodi water I had too use a acid buffer to reduce my Alk but only a small amount and air stone it for 24 hrs before testing and using. The thing is wear is the high Alk coming from tap water rodi water salt mix . If it’s salt mix change your salt if it’s in your rodi water why is the rodi not lowering it . And if your using tap water I recommend and good rodi @Randy Holmes-Farley is the man on this subject

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RO water @ 0ppm with my tds meter,
I also use the blue bucket Redsea low alk Salt

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The key thing has already been mentioned - recheck your tests, including salinity, and pH and Alk, and nitrate. To make sure that there is no error.

Then check the alkalinity of the salt you're using.

The reason I mentioned nitrate is that if thats being metabolized alkalinity can rise from that. Generally, though, it would seem either your testing is off or the salt you're adding is off (do you mix the salt (the dry powder) before adding it to the water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try measuring the alk in your new salt water. If it reads normal and resuming water changes with it does not keep the alk in check, you can lower the alk further in the new salt water with muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate.

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key thing has already been mentioned - recheck your tests, including salinity, and pH and Alk, and nitrate. To make sure that there is no error.

Then check the alkalinity of the salt you're using.

The reason I mentioned nitrate is that if thats being metabolized alkalinity can rise from that. Generally, though, it would seem either your testing is off or the salt you're adding is off (do you mix the salt (the dry powder) before adding it to the water?
I mix the salt in 5 gal bucket 2 of them mix it thoroughly to 102.5 to match my tanks salinity and do the WC

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try measuring the alk in your new salt water. If it reads normal and resuming water changes with it does not keep the alk in check, you can lower the alk further in the new salt water with muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate.
Yeah imma do that, if the alk is elevated on the new batch I’m going to lower it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious which salt are you using? Some salts (Brightwell, for example) recommend mixing for longer than you were doing - to guarantee accurate results.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS. I assume you mean you are adjusting salinity to a specific gravity of 1.025?

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You can mix up some water and use Muratic Acid (HCl) to reduce the kh in it. Make sure you aerate for 24hr as if you don't it will drop your PH. Then use that to change the water.

If its more of an emergency. Then the acid can be dripped into sump with a lot of flow. But again careful as it will drop the PH of your system. Someone posted about how much that they use per batch when they are mixing up new water and how much it drops the kh.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
???? Need some help
How much is the Red Sea (8dKH) bucket reading when you make a fresh batch of 1.025-1.026 s/g?

If it’s not reading 8dKH, I’d assume your source water is bringing alkalinity, your test kit is wrong, or you got a faulty batch of the Red Sea Bucket (unlikely).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back