How can I lower my alkalinity?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the muratic acid route be careful when handling it and wear safety gear (gloves + eye protection). It is readily available at the local hardware store since it is used to clean concrete (+other household uses) as well as the pool supply store since it is used to chemical balance swimming pools.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lowering alkalinity, I mix new saltwater with Sodium Bisulfate (direct from Loudwolf website) to make low alkalinity (<0.1 dKH) new water, then do small water changes with that.

Randy has a thread on Sodium Bisulfate here:
Sodium Bisulfate to Reduce Alkalinity

For quick estimates of alk effect per water change schedule over time, I like this calculator:
Water Change Calculator

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try measuring the alk in your new salt water. If it reads normal and resuming water changes with it does not keep the alk in check, you can lower the alk further in the new salt water with muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate.
Doesn't pure RODI water have an alkalinity of 0? Do you think this could be a bad batch of salt - or a poorly mixed (dry) salt?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't pure RODI water have an alkalinity of 0? Do you think this could be a bad batch of salt - or a poorly mixed (dry) salt?

It should, yes. Poor mixing of an inhomogeneous batch is more likely than an actual bad batch, and test error is not unlikely too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It should, yes. Poor mixing of an inhomogeneous batch is more likely than an actual bad batch, and test error is not unlikely too.
How much could high nitrate play a role in high alkalinity?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 12 dkh all that bad though? I regularily run mine between 11 and 12. I have to dose the hell out of calcium, but the corals seem to grow like crazy.
Exactly. High alk is great for coral growth. :)

I run 10-11dKH.

Maybe some people don’t want fast stony coral growth, especially if their tank is grown out or if they want to keep low nutrient tanks. I think high alkalinity is feared by many reefers.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly. High alk is great for coral growth. :)

I run 10-11dKH.

Maybe some people don’t want fast stony coral growth, especially if their tank is grown out or if they want to keep low nutrient tanks. I think high alkalinity is feared by many reefers.
I have seen problems with high alkalinity, high light and low flow with SPS - IF not adjusted slowly. I'm not sure it hurts at 12.4, but - it can make it difficult to add new corals, etc - if, for example your LFS uses an alkalinity of 8. But generally, my experience meshes with yours

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much could high nitrate play a role in high alkalinity?

High nitrate would not cause high alk. As that nitrate accumulates, it reduces alk along the way.

if nitrate is high and then drops by consumption, that produces alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 12 dkh all that bad though? I regularily run mine between 11 and 12. I have to dose the hell out of calcium, but the corals seem to grow like crazy.

i didn't say it was good or bad. Just advising on how to change it if that's what the OP wants. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
High nitrate would not cause high alk. As that nitrate accumulates, it reduces alk along the way.

if nitrate is high and then drops by consumption, that produces alk.
Yes - thats what I meant - as nitrate falls alkalinity increases. So if one had a high nitrate, and for example bacteria started processing it (with tank maturity?) or some other method, the alkalinity will rise - how often do we see this in a home aquarium. I remember a thread similar to this one a while back.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - thats what I meant - as nitrate falls alkalinity increases. So if one had a high nitrate, and for example bacteria started processing it (with tank maturity?) or some other method, the alkalinity will rise - how often do we see this in a home aquarium. I remember a thread similar to this one a while back.
For every 50ppm of nitrates depleted, you will add 2.3dKH of alkalinity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back