How common is cyanide collection still?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how often are fish still being collected by this method. I remember years ago it was a huge issue with angels, butterflies, and some others coming from the Philippines, then they cracked down and it was common with fish labeled as coming from Indonesia.

I just lost a regal angel I picked up about 30 days ago that was supposedly from Sri Lanka (grey belly). It initially ate wonderfully, then within 48 hours it stopped eating, colors dulled way out (were super bright originally), and completelt crashed until I euthanized the poor fish this afternoon. I opened the fish to do a necropsy immediately after euthanization and the liver was basically dissolved into a yellow mush. This is what I had always seen with fish in the past that had been cyanide caught.

So how prevalent is cyanide collection still?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is still common practice. Collectors actually take food fish this way...larger market...then do some ornaments as well.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how often are fish still being collected by this method. I remember years ago it was a huge issue with angels, butterflies, and some others coming from the Philippines, then they cracked down and it was common with fish labeled as coming from Indonesia.

I just lost a regal angel I picked up about 30 days ago that was supposedly from Sri Lanka (grey belly). It initially ate wonderfully, then within 48 hours it stopped eating, colors dulled way out (were super bright originally), and completelt crashed until I euthanized the poor fish this afternoon. I opened the fish to do a necropsy immediately after euthanization and the liver was basically dissolved into a yellow mush. This is what I had always seen with fish in the past that had been cyanide caught.

That's terrible. I've had a couple dwarf angels come in and not make it very long either. They wouldn't even eat and I threw a ton of different foods at them. Makes me wonder, could be the issue there.

ol.lo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"supposedly from Sri Lanka (grey belly)."

Sri Lanka (Kenyan, Maldivians and other Indian Ocean) are YELLOW belly, not Grey.
Grey belly = typical Pacific Ocean ones (Philippines) cyanide caught 99% sure. :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you haven’t seen it, I just posted an article on sourcing marine fish:

Jay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t seen it, I just posted an article on sourcing marine fish:

Jay
So if the vendor says the Caribbean where does that fall in the list of collection zones.. seems like this area may not be the most known for responsible collecting?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the vendor says the Caribbean where does that fall in the list of collection zones.. seems like this area may not be the most known for responsible collecting?

That is the problem - it could be Belize or Florida, or even Brazil, but it is most likely Haiti.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back