How did you configure your return output without loc-line?

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning the plumbing for my first system with a sump and I can't decide what to do about the return output. I'd be curious to see how you folks configured your return outputs, particularly those without loc-line. How did you avoid having the flow disturb the sand bed, etc? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To avoid disturbing the sand bed, you just need to point the outlet horizontal. Melev’s Reef has twin enductors pointed towards his overflow box down the 84” length of his tank.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let them crawl on it.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up from amazon. Lets direct my return flow to where ever
1683476322657.png

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up from amazon. Lets direct my return flow to where ever
1683476322657.png
I came across that too actually and wondered whether it would work. How did you connect it to your return pipe? Does that barbed end go into vinyl hosing or into an adapter or some kind?

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to use two elbows but I want everything inside the tank to be adjustable. If I use slip/socket fittings without cement, will they fit together firmly enough to keep any leaks negligible or is there a risk of water spraying or connections coming apart under pressure? Should I use thread fittings?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to use two elbows but I want everything inside the tank to be adjustable. If I use slip/socket fittings without cement, will they fit together firmly enough to keep any leaks negligible or is there a risk of water spraying or connections coming apart under pressure? Should I use thread fittings?
Those type of fittings will hold fairly well and if they are on the larger end (1”+) the pressure that’s trying to push them off won’t be much. In time, they will get progressively harder to move as stuff grows on them. The snails are unlikely to do much more than get pushed around.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @RocketEngineer. I was planning on 3/4" (same as my return line) and water flow will be 600gph max. That's if the pump is working at full power but I'll probably dial it down.

I did consider going up to 1" for the fittings to reduce head loss and when I checked the pump head loss chart just now I notice it says 3/4" output, 1" hose. So now I'm pulling my hair out thinking maybe I should be using 1" for the return pipe as well? o_O

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever have problems with snails, etc. crawling into the open pipe? Or did you add a guard of some sort?
As someone who has had nassarius snails mangle pump impellers, I wouldn’t advise letting them climb in. I’d use a schedule 80 or black schedule 40 to make it look nicer. I’d probably also use a screw on strainer. Yes it will need cleaning and may reduce flow.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has had nassarius snails mangle pump impellers, I wouldn’t advise letting them climb in. I’d use a schedule 80 or black schedule 40 to make it look nicer. I’d probably also use a screw on strainer. Yes it will need cleaning and may reduce flow.
I was wondering whether that could happen so good to know. Thanks!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used threaded street elbows with nothing on the outlet.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll try the strainer and I can always remove it if needs be. I don't need high flow and turns out, because I just checked, my overflow box is rated up to 400gph. I should've maybe gotten the next model up but what's done is done...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back