How did you decide on your aquascape? Are you happy with it?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me, deciding on my aquascape was a hard decision. I wanted something that had both a unique look to it, but also provide areas for the fish to hide in and coral to grow on. I am wondering what made you decide on your aquascape and are you happy with it?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
originally my idea was to keep the SPS towards the top left, then taper down towards the right for LPS, and then softies/zoa's/shrooms at the end. for the most part it has stayed like this, but with more SPS than i had planned (i'm a stick head)

edit: no rocks are glued. only corals.

IMG_0389.jpeg IMG_0390.jpeg IMG_0391.jpeg IMG_0393.jpeg

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank back was just 3 pieces of live rock from the lfs. I picked them out of one of the 2 bins using shape, what was seen growing on it or not and size versus weight. Theres not really what you'd call a aquascape in that tank.
On the tank I just started cycling I used marco rock and really wanted a nice branching scape not exactly nsa but like it. I havent decided if I like it or not yet. I liked it at first now looking at it I may have some coral placemant issues.... and even though I built it in a card board box the size of the tank and I included the overflow its more cramped in the tank then box. I just realized I have no pics of it in tank. Ill post one later.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 months to wait for my tank to be delivered, so I sat a piece of cardboard on the floor where the tank was going with the same footprint and stated at it all that time making adjustments every now and then.

It's my first tank in 20 years, and has only been setup for 4 months now. Check back in a couple of years to see if I still like it :)

PXL_20230315_131005744.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's sort of old school, but I like a lot of rock with decent sized gaps. Feels the most like a reef to me. Also gives the hole and rubble dwelling fish such a nice area to explore. My royal gramma, possum wrasse, and cherub angel spend all day weaving through every inch of rock
1000004317.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had this idea in my mind of how I wanted it to look. Never worked out. I ended up just stacking rocks in my 125 and wish I had built it prior to putting it in like I did with my first tank lol. Kinda too late now, Ill for sure re build the scape when I upgrade later this year hopefully!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our very first tank had a staghorn skeleton encrusted with gsp. I miss that. The new tank will have skeletons and rock. Some glued and some just stacked. I do have an inspiration board with rock from R2R that I may want to try and replicate.

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me, deciding on my aquascape was a hard decision. I wanted something that had both a unique look to it, but also provide areas for the fish to hide in and coral to grow on. I am wondering what made you decide on your aquascape and are you happy with it?

And this is a good example of how things have changed over the years. Back in 09, the recommendation was abt 2lbs of rock per gallon. Thus, my aquascape was 145# of rock up against the back glass of a 90G tank. Yep. A rock wall. And I was NOT happy with it.

For the next build, I'm gonna get some specialty rocks, flattened on the bottom to add stability for the base. Then use superglue and small fiberglass rods to mold it to where I want it. It's gonna be prrrrrrrrrty!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is a good example of how things have changed over the years. Back in 09, the recommendation was abt 2lbs of rock per gallon. Thus, my aquascape was 145# of rock up against the back glass of a 90G tank. Yep. A rock wall. And I was NOT happy with it.

For the next build, I'm gonna get some specialty rocks, flattened on the bottom to add stability for the base. Then use superglue and small fiberglass rods to mold it to where I want it. It's gonna be prrrrrrrrrty!
That would be interesting to have a "rock wall" as an aquascape haha, glad you are able to do something cool now!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sat down with a mock up of my tank bottom and started playing around with ideas. Once I settled on one, starting pinning it together. I would probably changes some things given the opportunity , but overall, I am happy with it, and so are my tank inhabitants. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back