How different is your current tank form your first one

strange33w

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
677
Reaction score
383
Location
Sanford
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering the difference between people’s first tanksand their current tank. For me my first tank was a 30gallon with hang on backfilter and a heater. My new system is more automated it’s a 165 with a 50gallon sump, protein skimmer, auto top off system, dosing pumps, fuge, vortechpumps and GFO and carbon reactor. I just amazes me how far the hobby has comefor me in the last 10 plus years. So that’s mine how has your setups changed.
 
I started off with a75g that had a hadn't on the back pre filter, a wet dry filter,vho tube lights, a power strip that I had to put individual timers on and the pump was very loud. While I have changed tanks many times since then, they were never really very sophisticated. I now have a rimless tank with a sump and fuge, I have a much more efficient eheim pump, tunze controllable ph, a drilled in glass holes over flow, t5 & led lights, 2-part doser, auto feeder, ato all powered by an apex so no more individual timers and a skimmer. Gotta love technology
 
Haha I've had a 40Br for almost all of my reefing time... almost 10 years!
 
nice wish I could say the same but being in the Army i get set up a tank in a new location every 2 to 3 years.
 
My first ever tank was a freshwater setup at 8 or something. My first saltwater was a converted freshwater 55 to an aggressive saltwater tank. I used the same filtration and lights. My first reef was a 75 gallon with one 250w metal halide koralia pumps and a canister filter.

Now I have a 120 with two 40 breeders (one sump one fuge) run by a reef keeper with T5's, an auto top off, oversized skimmer, two MP40w ES, and a reeflo closed loop.
 
The first tank I ever had was a 10 gallon fw. I am now currently working on my first saltwater setup, which orginally I was planning on setting up as a 29 gal and than started thinking about converting my 50 gal fw to a sw tank and finally landed on a 72 gal bowfront when I found a great deal. My orginal plans of how I was going to set up this tank has changed along the way, so who knows what I will end up with when I am done ;)
 
My first sw tank was 27 years ago when I was ten. Twenty gallon with underground filter, domino damsel, zebra damsel and a chocolate star. Now 7 year old full blown sps.
 
First attempt. :( Thanks to Petco and the LFS. I started reading for myself after the Mandarin got skinny and died and I've been hooked ever since. 45 gal. 1 18w bulb, HOB filter. Condy nem, Mandarin, Coral Beauty, Bicolor Angel. Notice the tiny green Sinularia in the bottom left corner, I still have it to this day and it fills up half of a 20 gallon tall tank. It's the only thing that survived my first attempt.
024-1.jpg


More recent shot upgraded to 75 gallons.
IMG_1893.jpg
 
My first was a 40 tall with pcs the. To halides. Drilled with 10 gallon sump. Open top. Then had to bigger to 75. Upgraded to LEDs and went crazy with rock and corals! I am in the slow and grueling process (prob 3-5 years) of convincing wifey to get a 250 fish only predator tank! Love this hobby but think crack would be cheaper!
 
My first was a 90rr with a 30 gallon sump, t5's, gfo/carbon reactor, controller, kalk doser, full blown mixed reef. Now I have a 6 gallon mix reef with t5's, hob with carbon, and the same controller. I love my little nano. I loved my 90 but had to down grade do to the economy a few years ago.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new