How do I get a Varios 6 return pump fit to a 1” OD tubing return?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return tubes fit with my old Sicce pumps that had barb fittings for a 1” OD tube, but these varios pumps shipped with large fittings that won’t work

Googling hasn’t come up with anything so I’m stumped as to what to do next

Can anyone help?

CoralVue support hasn’t responded

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Output is 1.25" slipnon the union

Pipe Reducer Bushing, Spigot x Female Thread, White, 1.25 x 1-In.​

And 1" pipe adaptor spigot x barb

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!!

Do I want the 1" spigot x barb or do I want 3/4 so that it fits inside of the 1" OD vinyl tubing?

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!!

Do I want the 1" spigot x barb or do I want 3/4 so that it fits inside of the 1" OD vinyl tubing?
Typically for tubing you want the barb to match the tubing size. You may need to carefully warm the end of the tubing if you need some extra persuasion

Do you know what the ID on the tubing is?

Looks like standard ID for 1" OD is 3/4" so yeah, you'd want 3/4" barb. You'll still have to wrestle it on no doubt.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically for tubing you want the barb to match the tubing size. You may need to carefully warm the end of the tubing if you need some extra persuasion

Do you know what the ID on the tubing is?

Looks like standard ID for 1" OD is 3/4" so yeah, you'd want 3/4" barb. You'll still have to wrestle it on no doubt.

Would you just try to find this stuff at Home Depot or do you like the schedule 80 stuff that’s harder to find?

BRS doesn’t seem to have everything

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Menards for 90% of my stuff. For something this simple (not a union or valve) sch 40 from HD or somewhere local should be totally fine.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robotrash can you help me understand some plumbing basics here?

If the plastic connector I have is 1 1/2 OD / 1" ID - is that considered a 1.25" slip, or a 1" slip?

Because what fits inside is only 1", not 1.25"

I'm confused because I'm trying to make sure I order the right adapter to fit inside

I ordered a .75" barb x 1.25" spigot/1" slip adapter - now I am not so sure that is actually the right item

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's a bit odd because PVC is always measured in OD due to the ID being variable based on what schedule the pipe is. Tubing typically has both listed since it has so many usecases. If your connector is listed as 1 1/2" then it's meant to fit a 1 1/2" OD PVC pipe (meaning the fitting is 1 1/2" ID).

I hope this makes sense. Fittings are labeled for the pipes they're meant to fit so fitting ID = pipe OD.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you need a 1 1/2" slip -> 3/4 barb. May take a couple steps if you can't find that exactly.

The part I ordered was listed as

Barb Adapter, 3/4" Barb x 1" Slip/1-1/4" Spigot

So the slip would be the interior, and the spigot should fit into the slip of the part that actually comes with the varios.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha so the varios has a 1 1/4" ID?

It looks like it's 1" internally - but it's listed as a "1.25 slip"

This is so obnoxious to figure out, and Coralvue is useless and doesn't respond to open tickets with simple questions about

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpeg
    IMG_1354.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 18

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link the exact part you got? Might be able to help you out some more. So you need to from 1" ID pump adapter to 3/4" ID tubing, is that accurate?

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link the exact part you got? Might be able to help you out some more. So you need to from 1" ID pump adapter to 3/4" ID tubing, is that accurate?

Yeah I figured I would just avoid that bushing coupling that @Jason_MrFrags suggested, and go with a one piece solution

That's what I got, since the site says it's a 1.25" output so I thought I'd link that to a 1.25" spigot

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I'm not familiar with Varios, does that adapter screw onto the pump or how does it attach?

I think you're on the right track

Edit: took a look. So it uses a union. You'll probably need to do a small piece of 1" pipe between the pump union and the barb adapter you just bought. I believe the adapter is meant to go on 1" OD pipe and won't fit into the pump adapter (they have the same OD/ID dimensions). That's fine though provided you don't mind tossing a short 1" piece of PVC in there.

Looking at what you've got:

Pump Adapter (1" ID for 1" PVC) -> 1" OD PVC -> 1" ID/3/4" barb adapter -> 3/4" tubing

Sound right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I'm not familiar with Varios, does that adapter screw onto the pump or how does it attach?

I think you're on the right track

I'm not sure how I would describe the fitting - but it works similar to Sicce pumps

There's some kind of coupling ring that slips over the fittings and screws in - the barb itself will have to be cemented into the part in my picture because it's not threaded.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how I would describe the fitting - but it works similar to Sicce pumps

There's some kind of coupling ring that slips over the fittings and screws in - the barb itself will have to be cemented into the part in my picture because it's not threaded.
Updated post with more info :)

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also before gluing the barb adapter for the love of God don't forget to slip the screw ring onto your assembly first or you'll be cursing the whole time you wait for new pump adapters to show up.

Ask me how I know.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated post with more info :)

I think you're right - that would work.

Or I could just try to get the right barb fitting which will fit inside this adapter, which is what I thought I was doing originally

The barb Octo/Coralvue provided was a 1" barb so it's too fat for the 1" OD / 3/4" ID tubing

So I think what I needed was a 3/4" barb x 1" spigot - I had thought you just match the spigot size with the slip size but I think you're supposed to know to make the spigot smaller to fit into the slip

Or the info I had on the slip was wrong and it's actually a 1" slip adapter, and not a 1.25"

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe, and don't quote me on this, the adapter is a 1" slip (thus fits around 1" PVC) OR 1-1/4" spigot (fits inside 1-1/4" ID PVC). Honestly wince you're dealing with the union screw ring it may not be bad to have that little bit of extra 1" pipe to give yourself some wiggle room. Otherwise you'll want 1" spigot -> 3/4" barb to do it all at once.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back