how do i know if my anemone is dying?

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have an anemone that recently found his way back to where the heater is. he wasn’t attached to it just right next to it, i put him back on a rock and he hasn’t opened up fully since. idk if it’s the fact that he got trapped there or if there’s something else bothering him or killing him. any help is appreciated
30ECC3F2-9810-48ED-8805-E5C93EC82CF5.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I have an anemone that recently found his way back to where the heater is. he wasn’t attached to it just right next to it, i put him back on a rock and he hasn’t opened up fully since. idk if it’s the fact that he got trapped there or if there’s something else bothering him or killing him. any help is appreciated

Is this a recent photo?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide some info on the tank?

Size
Last tests of params?

That nem looks a little bleached to begin with, but if the tank is suitable for a nem (the above asks will help determine that), then just patience and stability of params will be fine for it to be able to recover and regain its color.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s a few months old
This is where you are going to get that your tank is too new. While this is partially true, if you have the time and dedication to keep things stable, not make a 1000 changes all at once, a BTA can be kept.

If you do not have that ability or the tank swings all over the place, in terms of parameters and the light is not sufficient, it will lead to the death of the nem.

Lets start with your parameters and what test kits you are using.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where you are going to get that your tank is too new. While this is partially true, if you have the time and dedication to keep things stable, not make a 1000 changes all at once, a BTA can be kept.

If you do not have that ability or the tank swings all over the place, in terms of parameters and the light is not sufficient, it will lead to the death of the nem.

Lets start with your parameters and what test kits you are using.
Looks to be one in the hectoractis club, no?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be one in the hectoractis club, no?
Striations on the disc and the red color of the foot look like a bleached GBTA. I am on my phone, so could be wrong, but going with that for now.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide some info on the tank?

Size
Last tests of params?

That nem looks a little bleached to begin with, but if the tank is suitable for a nem (the above asks will help determine that), then just patience and stability of params will be fine for it to be able to recover and regain its color.
it’s a fluval evo 13.5. it’s about 2 months old it’s using just the stock light that comes with it and the last params were: ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-0, PH 8.0, calcium 430 KH 13.2. i have a feeling that the tank is too small which could be the reason that he’s been moving constantly since i got him about a month ago.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it is bleached what can i do to help it return to normal?
The 0 nitrate is an issue. Nems need some available. If this was tested using API, you may have some nitrate there, but if using Salifert, Red Sea etc and it is 0, then that is a big issue.

As for the stock light on the 13.5 I am not sure on if it is enough for a nem. It may be up high, but if the nem has no nutrients available, then it will not move up, as any light is harmful to it at that point.

In addition, with the tank being so new, the nem may be experiencing additional stress due to parameter fluctuations associated with it being a new tank.

With that said, you need to bring up nutrients a little. I aim for 2-5 NO3 and .03-.1 for PO4.

If it was me, I would get those nutrients up some and within a week or 2, you should see the nem start to regain color, provided the stock light is enough light. This may mean the nem moves up on the rocks as well, once the zoo in it has something to eat.

Also, you are going to hear "your tank is too new", "tank is not old enough", etc. While this is partially true, if you are willing to put the time and effort into the tank/nem and keeping things stable, then you can make it work. If you do not want to put thatmuch effort into the nem, then I suggest rehoming it. This is of course up to you and for you to decide. I just want you to be aware that while not recommended, it can be done.

Edit: Forgot to comment on the too small of a tank. I have kept nems in 2.5 gallon tanks. 13.5 is not too small, as long as you can keep thing stable and provide what the nem needs to thrive. This does not mean everyone can keep a nem in a 2.5, I am just pointing out that it is possible with enough work.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see if you can rehome the nem. It’s always best to research any live stock before you buy it
Update: I rehomed the nem to another bigger tank where i can control the light settings, so far he still looks the same he’s moved a little bit but not much.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I rehomed the nem to another bigger tank where i can control the light settings, so far he still looks the same he’s moved a little bit but not much.
Same thing applies in the new tank. Parameters are key.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back