OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was just confused with the strainer. I will test with the ball valve and if I can’t get it I will buy a gate valve.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just recently switched a 90gallon from Durso to Herbie setup and a ball valve works... they're just touchier to adjust than a ball valve. I plan to switch mine out, but "for now" it's fine.

chowberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was just confused with the strainer. I will test with the ball valve and if I can’t get it I will buy a gate valve.

I don’t use a strainer for mine but I according to the article it goes on the full siphon side. This is probably because it does the bulk of the draining and will prevent snails and such to get pulled in.

Also, if you already have a ball valve plumbed it should work but maybe more fickle. If you haven’t plumbed it yet go gate valve for sure.

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that you want the water level just below, or even a trickle down the emergency drain? I have about 12” between my main drain and emergency drain, and I would think the water level anywhere in between as long as the main drain is silent would be fine, no?

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that you want the water level just below, or even a trickle down the emergency drain? I have about 12” between my main drain and emergency drain, and I would think the water level anywhere in between as long as the main drain is silent would be fine, no?
You can get noise of water falling into the overflow box. If you raise the level inside the box there is less falling water noise. Since the water doesn’t have to fall as far

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get noise of water falling into the overflow box. If you raise the level inside the box there is less falling water noise. Since the water doesn’t have to fall as far
I keep mine so it is just below or at a trickle for.another reason as well...if the main drain strainer blocks even a small amount...say a snail or plant leaves etc, then the water down the emergency pipe becomes more than a trickle and very NOISY alerting me to the clog!
Just be sure to test that your emergency drain can handle the full flow of your return pump if your main drain blocks completely!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also need to run my back box level close to the emerg height. Otherwise it sucks air in from the through-the-glass bulkheads.
I don't purposely run water down my emerg as I want it clean if/when it's actually needed to run full flow.
The only reason I see in running water down the emerg is if you have horizontal runs that aren't sloped. You don't want standing water in the plumbing that can go anoxic and then flush hydrogen sulfide into your system.
My drain plumbing runs are over 4 feet long but sloped enough to stay cleared out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back