How do I stop tunicates from spreading?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they are harmless and nothing to worry about.....except they are beginning to cover everything in a tunicate mat. I don't think corals will grow on top of these things and they are on their way to taking over one of my rocks. I took out a rock and scraped them off, but something must have been left because they came right back. What can I do?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are filter feeders, suggesting you have a lot of DOC in the water (not no3/po4)

Turn up skimming or add filter socks. These will help remove nutrients in the 2 stages (uneaten food particles and DOC) before bacteria break it down to no3/po4

Do you broadcast feed coral particle food like phyto or roid? Thats also increases the stuff that filter feeders eat

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are filter feeders, suggesting you have a lot of DOC in the water (not no3/po4)

Turn up skimming or add filter socks. These will help remove nutrients in the 2 stages (uneaten food particles and DOC) before bacteria break it down to no3/po4

Do you broadcast feed coral particle food like phyto or roid? Thats also increases the stuff that filter feeders eat
I spot feed. I know that's an issue, but I was hoping for a solution that would allow me to keep feeding. Maybe there isn't.

Back