How do I thin out my striped mushrooms?

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green striped mushrooms have exploded! And the original 4 have gotten huge. As big as my palm. Can anyone post a link on how to get them loose from the rock? They're on the base of my rocks and I'd really prefer not having to completely disassemble my scape and bust up my rock to do it. Can they be cut?
0530192114a_Film1-01.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone with actual knowledge of mushrooms (not THAT kind) chimes-in and confirms, I think you can take the rock out of the water long enough to cut the mushrooms directly in half (through the mouth) with a sharp X-acto knife. You will likely have to use the knife point to also cut the foot away from the rock. I doubt this will do anything long-term to reduce ‘your’ fabulous mushroom population, but with a half comprised of a mouth and foot portion, there should be a reasonable probability that your friend can enjoy some too. (Rubber band them to a rock to eventually take hold.). At least you have plenty to experiment with, right? :)

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone with actual knowledge of mushrooms (not THAT kind) chimes-in and confirms, I think you can take the rock out of the water long enough to cut the mushrooms directly in half (through the mouth) with a sharp X-acto knife. You will likely have to use the knife point to also cut the foot away from the rock. I doubt this will do anything long-term to reduce ‘your’ fabulous mushroom population, but with a half comprised of a mouth and foot portion, there should be a reasonable probability that your friend can enjoy some too. (Rubber band them to a rock to eventually take hold.). At least you have plenty to experiment with, right? :)
Very true. Worst case scenario is I loose a few that will be replaced in a month by more babies.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the possible corals out there, my LFS has some of those (large like yours) near the top of a 16 gallon biocube, and to me, that fluorescent green steals the show.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I love mushrooms and deal with them all the time. When I have mushrooms I want to remove I use a razor blade and carefully cut at the base tying to get as much of the mushroom as I can and then berry loosely runnernand it to a frag plug and let its foot heal. It will eventually heal and grow onto the plug. You can cut it into a bunch of peices and make more, I do see a greater success rate when I have some of the mouth with the cut up peice. Also a thin flexible razor blade works best as long as you don't cut yourself
Edit: if you want to compleatly remove it from a spot scrub the left over prices off with a toothbrush as any left over flesh will grow a mushroom

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I love mushrooms and deal with them all the time. When I have mushrooms I want to remove I use a razor blade and carefully cut at the base tying to get as much of the mushroom as I can and then berry loosely runnernand it to a frag plug and let its foot heal. It will eventually heal and grow onto the plug. You can cut it into a bunch of peices and make more, I do see a greater success rate when I have some of the mouth with the cut up peice. Also a thin flexible razor blade works best as long as you don't cut yourself
Edit: if you want to compleatly remove it from a spot scrub the left over prices off with a toothbrush as any left over flesh will grow a mushroom
Thank you. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. I've got 2 separate colonies of them and they're getting a little too prolific.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back