How to kill mUshrooms

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I know it is not good to kill the animals in your tank but these shrooms that I have in my display are getting out of hand and the issue I have is the rock I have is a huge one piece of rock. I dont want to take it out and cut it as it will affect the biological filtration. Attached is a visual of the type of the mushroom I want to kill because they are becoming nuisance and killing my other corals. Any suggestions woild highly be appreciated.

Cheers!

IMG_2443.jpeg

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do that, there are plenty of people that would take them off your hands. Just so you know, I paid $40 for one of those mushrooms last weekend.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps to know: no it wouldn't affect your biological filtration whatsoever

Reefs don't run low on surface area

External excision is your only option

They will take the tank over if not culled

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I know it is not good to kill the animals in your tank but these shrooms that I have in my display are getting out of hand and the issue I have is the rock I have is a huge one piece of rock. I dont want to take it out and cut it as it will affect the biological filtration. Attached is a visual of the type of the mushroom I want to kill because they are becoming nuisance and killing my other corals. Any suggestions woild highly be appreciated.

Cheers!

IMG_2443.jpeg

I use kalk paste, but found that franks f- aiptasia works very well. Just suck them out days later.

I also use stainless steel straws attached to a tube and scrape/siphon them out. You have to get all the tissue regardless of what method you use.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk paste, but found that franks f- aiptasia works very well. Just suck them out days later.

I also use stainless steel straws attached to a tube and scrape/siphon them out. You have to get all the tissue regardless of what method you use.
Yes — I’ve killed some with Kalk paste myself. They do grow back if you miss even a tiny bit of flesh.

I do feel guilty but they were killing other acros! Ain’t cool

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably never get rid of them totally. I removed a rock covered in orange shrooms a year ago. I didn't see any others but now some small ones are starting to pop up. I think it ends up more controlling them vs eradication. Not sure the later is possible with out a tear down.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably never get rid of them totally. I removed a rock covered in orange shrooms a year ago. I didn't see any others but now some small ones are starting to pop up. I think it ends up more controlling them vs eradication. Not sure the later is possible with out a tear down.
I have them in dark overhangs I can't reach, they are with me for a long time.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I remove them using a pair of forceps by getting a firm grip as close to the base of the foot as possible, and pulling carefully but firm. Sometimes I may need to hold pressure for a minute or two, but it's usually enough to get them to detach.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m great at killing shrooms. I can keep all other softies, lps and easier sps. Let me know if you want to know my parameters and lighting. I’m the shroom slayer, I quit trying.

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, Kevgib67. I'm with you. I also read this while appreciating the irony. I also have no problem with LPS, SPS or softies but mushrooms simply do not thrive. They simply just slowly shrink and dissapear. Something vital for them is missing in my tank I suspect. I've done both triton ICP and N-Doc tests, nothing to note there.
I've seen some shoom colonies I'd love to have in my tank...

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. Same boat here. The nems keep them at bay but i was losing ground. I changed the rock and am using kalk. Hopefully long term i can get it tuned up.
1000003739.jpg
Those look like the green bumpy variety that my green striped mushrooms killed, which recently got taken over by red mushrooms.

I have another trick that worked for me on small mushrooms, ones that were dime sized or smaller. I shot vinegar at the base and they lifted off....then you have to hunt down the rolling shroom.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,

Cheers!

IMG_2443.jpeg
There's a market for mushrooms by especially newbies abut i had to thin out my hairy mushrooms and accomplished by smothering their core with a kalwasser paste mix

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that using 2 part epoxy works great. When the lights are dim or off and the shrooms are tiny I make a thin patty of epoxy and lay it over the shroom and press it into the rock gently. After a few days I remove the epoxy and the shroom is gone. Works great for areas you can reach.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy would probably solve your problem in just 48 hrs or so, but would most likely eat most your other corals as well. I added an orange rhodactis and it was gone within minutes...

20240424_192308.jpg
20240427_175118.jpg

Totroc3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just use a 1” siphon hose when doing water changes and put it over each one you want pulled out and siphon them right into a bucket. It doesn’t even hurt them. I learned by accident and the mushrooms recovered within hours.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back