How do people get crystal clear water

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use socks anymore on my 8' tank. I use a small bag of carbon, passively and the particulates aren't often seen. This is looking thru 8' of water.
20190915_154536.jpg

brawthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filter socks + carbon

if you just put in carbon the sleeves will be the ones sifting smaller particulates

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question for all the filter sock guys, do you not feel like it’s possible that whatever food/detritus is caught by the socks gets dissolved after the constant bashing of water that they endure? Even changing socks out every 2-3 days that’s a ton of water that is constantly hitting those socks.

My theory was always that whatever is caught was simply either pushed through or dissolved by the constant crashing of water into them.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crystal clear water is the sign of a healthy, mature reef aquarium. You don't need socks. A little passive carbon will remove the yellow tinge.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use filter media to get stuff out before it rots. Use skimmer to get the rest out. Use carbon to clean the water further. Everything has its purpose. Or don't use anything and be successful. I have seen that work also.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carbon, purigen, filter socks, oversized skimmer, and a UV. Always had crystal clear water, and I also have very high turnover in my sump, a little over 10x per hour.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also 100% for filter socks. They are easy to use, and I never have floating particulates in my tank. I change them every 2 days. They always come out brown and go in bright white. I know they are definitely pulling something out.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a Diatom filter will make your water sparkle. Marineland makes a polishing filter that does a great job and lets you see what a Diatom filter will do. It may be old school but works great.
Many aquarium service companies still use them every day.
They are carried by Petsmart and the DE can be purchased from swimming pool supplies shops and it is widely used in swimming pools to keep the water clean.

JoeJoesonoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a firm believer of being consistant with water changes. But as I was getting into the hobby I started using the dual filter sock system and a carbon filter that ran off of my manifold. After that i started seeing clearer water and no smell.

15687757546371183579552.jpg

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Clarisea if you haven't heard of them. I used to have clear water and wondered why all youtube close ups had 'specs' floating everywhere. Then I went bare bottom, bought some gyres, cranked up the Vortechs and now I have specs all over the place and amphipod corpses by the hour. By suspending all the crud in the water column I think i'm moving in the right direction, but now looking at a Clarisea to polish the water

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a Diatom filter will make your water sparkle. Marineland makes a polishing filter that does a great job and lets you see what a Diatom filter will do. It may be old school but works great.
Many aquarium service companies still use them every day.
They are carried by Petsmart and the DE can be purchased from swimming pool supplies shops and it is widely used in swimming pools to keep the water clean.
Never seen this filter, it is very reasonable. DE can be used in the marineland?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep mybwater as clear as possible. I use filter socks. I change them when they stop filtering. 1 to 2 weeks. I use carbon rox 0.8 in a reactor. Several cups that i change out once a month. I also run uv 24/7.

You should see differece in clarity when you any of them. If you dont, then you probably already had clear water. Thats just mh opinion.

I thought i had clear water when i wasnt using them. Then when i applied them....i was like wow. Its all a mater of taste and what u want to use. Also everyones water quality is different. The water sucks where i live

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. That’s my Xenia rock I’m working on. That’s 2 months from 3 quarter sized frags. Upgraded to a 10 and went with 2 t5’s. Hopefully they fill that rock in soon. Waiting for my maxima to move that in the middle of them. He’s being stubborn.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back