OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted a clear whole house filter to a DE filtration system. Filters down to. 05 micron. I feed heavy so clean every 2 weeks. 2 of 32 and counting

20190911_194939-01.jpeg 20190911_193715-01.jpeg
Have info on this diy build?

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a Diatom filter will make your water sparkle. Marineland makes a polishing filter that does a great job and lets you see what a Diatom filter will do. It may be old school but works great.
Many aquarium service companies still use them every day.
They are carried by Petsmart and the DE can be purchased from swimming pool supplies shops and it is widely used in swimming pools to keep the water clean.
I have a large bag of food grade diatomacus earth, i was going to sprinkle it under my shelves in the garage because its suppose to kill bugs, imagine tbis is the same stufg you use in the filter? Mentions on bag that people eat this stuff also for some reason

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large bag of food grade diatomacus earth, i was going to sprinkle it under my shelves in the garage because its suppose to kill bugs, imagine tbis is the same stufg you use in the filter?
Think that I read somewhere, that the food grade DE is not good for tank filtering... but the swimming pool DE will work.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is crystal clear but you can see in this close up video particles floating around. Those are needed to feed the tiny pipefish and many corals. The urchins and some of the fish when they are cleaning a nest constantly stir up the gravel allowing these things to become floaters. Eventually they settle down and the tank is again crystal clear.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of recommendations of ozone here. Would dosing diluted hydrogen peroxide have the same effect?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, long time ago I used to want the same thing. Crystal clear water, and sometimes I still do.

However I've been convinced by the experts that the Particulates you hate are actually good for your corals. (ie food).
Some folks are for filter socks, and some against. I am personally against them since depending on how you place them they will catch/trap the Copepods and I want them thriving in my system. Also they strip the particulates you want.

If your tank sump/flow is setup right, particulates will settle in your sump naturally without filter socks.
The skimmer will get stuff too.

Not saying you want yellow/greenish water, but those floating particulates that you notice when Lights are really bright.

However for me when I wanted crystal clear Water I would use ChemiPure. Not the more expensive ChemiPure Blue, or Elite but the cheapest basic ChemiPure that isn't always the easiest to find. (don't waste you money on the other two)

This one

It's Carbon, like other folks suggest, but it also contains a resin and conveniently place in a mesh bag.

No carbon that I've ever used got my water so crystal clear. Just get the right amount for your Tank Size, and wait a week. You'll be impressed.

Instead of the Chemi Pure, I now use Coral Snow and does something similar to clarify water. Makes small particles clump, get heavier and they settle more, and get extracted. The benefit of this over Carbon, is Carbon also strips Trace Elements. Coral snow does NOT.

This is coral Snow.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korallen-zucht-coral-snow.html

Unlike the ChemiPure which you drop in and forget. Coral Snow you can add weekly, daily, so it's more work.

Your choice, Socks, Carbon, ChemiPure, Coral Snow. If you use ChemiPure with Coral Snow, you'll wonder if there is water in your tank.

One warning (with super clarifying water). If you tank water is particularity cloudy, when you go to Crystal clear, it will allow your lighting to penetrate the water more, so if you have sensitive corals be aware your lighting will get stronger as water clears.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Nanosheriff10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Aquavitro Fuel. My corals love it. I used to run carbon and I stopped because I had a feeling the carbon was filtering out the Aquavitro. But now my water isn't as clear as it was before. It's not bad, but it's not as clear. Any suggestions as to how to dose with the carbon? Should I turn the reactor off for a few hours when my dosing pump doses the Aquavitro?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe so many replies that don't mention regular filtration.
In my 115g system, I use 1 x 7" filter sock which is changed once/week.
My skimmer works hard and this is all I need.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people are touching on different aspects that are all relevant

Yellowing/odd color to the water will be organic matter than can be addressed with calcium carbonate, activated carbon, and/or ozone.

Cloudy/hazy water is bacterial. No filter socks or carbon will lick that. Bacteria has to die off or be taken care of with a uv sterilizer or ozone(I think)

Particles constantly in suspension are just that. Uv, carbon or ozone won’t do anything for that. It needs to be mechanically removed.

What type of clarity you seek will determine what steps you take to address it. There isn’t a universal cure for all of them

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people 'stage' their tank for pictures. Drop in some carbon about 24 hours before you want to do pics and then when it is time, kill the powerheads for 15 minutes, then photograph away.

I love what carbon does to my tank, but it is certainly the most clear within 48 hours of me changing the carbon.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re just looking for clear water for pictures do what others have suggested and turn off powerheads and return pumps.

However, if you are truly after clear water with no particles floating around; one of the BRS employee tanks in their recent video is running a 5 micron sediment filter on the return pump! That’s an insane level of mechanical filtration.

Very cool. Do you have a link to the video?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back