How do people transport corals back from out of town shows

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested on the success rate of getting corals in water through TSA security. Maybe if you keep them within the 3.5oz/1qt sized bag you might be ok but you won't be able to fit many in a 1qt bag.

Even if the regulation posted above allows corals then there's no guarantee that TSA will let them through. I have had scissors confiscated in the past that should have been allowed through (they were short enough to be legal for carry on) but there was no arguing; they weren't interested/didn't have time to check the regulations so I had to throw them away.

What would you do if you get to security and they say no? Is it worth the risk?
Anyone who travels should carry a copy of the regulations or have it pulled up on their phone it’s not a problem in Orlando where I am since it’s a big hub for coral lol but some places less so

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested on the success rate of getting corals in water through TSA security. Maybe if you keep them within the 3.5oz/1qt sized bag you might be ok but you won't be able to fit many in a 1qt bag.

Even if the regulation posted above allows corals then there's no guarantee that TSA will let them through. I have had scissors confiscated in the past that should have been allowed through (they were short enough to be legal for carry on) but there was no arguing; they weren't interested/didn't have time to check the regulations so I had to throw them away.

You aren’t required to follow the 3.5 oz , 1 quart bag rule for coral. It’s an exception. I would think major Florida airports experience this somewhat regularly. I would be more worried in Chicago or Minneapolis for example.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone who travels should carry a copy of the regulations or have it pulled up on their phone it’s not a problem in Orlando where I am since it’s a big hub for coral lol but some places less so

The regulation that says the decision rests with the TSA officer?

I'm not saying it won't get through - it might, but it might not, irrespective of the regulations. I accept that you're probably less likely to have a problem in Florida, particularly if you go home at the end of an expo where lots of people have been through the airport over the previous couple of days.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regulation that says the decision rests with the TSA officer?

I'm not saying it won't get through - it might, but it might not, irrespective of the regulations. I accept that you're probably less likely to have a problem in Florida, particularly if you go home at the end of an expo where lots of people have been through the airport over the previous couple of days.
I’m pretty sure it’s not up to the TSA officer since it’s a live animal it’s allowed as long as it is in a clear container and they inspect it

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everything is up to the TSA officer!

As an example, have a look here Flying with Coral - TSA Experience | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

There are various experiences from people, despite what the rules say. It appears that most people don't have a problem, but in that thread there are people who have had to open the bags to have the water tested, people who have had to empty water to get it below 3.5oz per bag, people who have not been allowed their coral on, and even one person who was allowed through security but blocked by the airline.

Despite how important/expensive your coral is to you, it isn't to TSA. Their job is security and if they are unsure of the regulations then sometimes it's safer for them to say no; it might even just come down to how busy the airport is at the time. You can quote the regulations but if they're not having it then you can't argue - I have been there (not with coral) and it doesn't work!

If you want to risk it then go for it; you will probably be ok. But if you do get stopped you will either have to leave security and try to get them shipped, or throw them away. Is it worth the stress and worry during the expo visit to always be concerned about your return home?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically drive to shows, as I cannot carry what I buy in a stow away bags lol. Here is my setup. All hooks into a power inverter. Items in bags and cups just float in the fresh made SW. this setup is also used for collecting in south Florida. No issues with everything making it back to TN alive.

Pumps and spray bars serve a dual purpose. For corals in bags, they circulate the water and allow the temp to be easily maintained. For live stock in the cooler, same thing, but aerate it as well. There is also a hole in the top corner of each bubbler to feed an airline through that get hooked to a bubbler. The battery pack on the cart keeps all running for 30 hours if not hooked to an inverter. Great for those long days of snorkeling and collecting. Also great for walking around shows lol. Open cooler, plop in baggie and keep a stable temp all day long. Battery pack is also removable.

Overkill, I know, but zero losses from collecting and no losses due to temp swings or anything like that from shows.

Pics are from my small coolers. I have a massive one setup the same way with a custom built cart to fit it.

190D5F86-E2A4-4501-B551-5578714E3B84.jpeg

17C8773C-A068-4235-B4E3-2882C7B0BA75.jpeg

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are aware it’s in Florida. Pretty much everyone there has their pilots license and can help transport your goods. I’m pretty sure you’re born and get a disney world pass for life and a pilots license.

-Andrew
Is anyone actually born in Florida?

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've brought back coral and fish from all over the country. Put them in plastic bags inside foam coffee cups for insulation. Just tell them there live coral +/or fish and you're going through. Don't act cocky or snotty, respect the system.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there a company that sells a container that comes with a TSA approved certification

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SaltwaterAquarium.com has a TSA-compliant frag transport device!

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
SaltwaterAquarium.com has a TSA-compliant frag transport device!

I can make my own TSA compliant frag transport device out of a clear plastic bottle. That doesn't guarantee that TSA will allow it through.

As previously mentioned, I have previously had TSA compliant items confiscated at security and other threads I have read on R2R have indicated that other people have had problems carrying corals through.

I am not saying you shouldn't be able to do it and the regulations do clearly allow it, and maybe the chances of anyone getting stopped are negligible, but it is possible despite what the regulations say. It is for each individual to determine whether the 'risk' is worth the reward.

Jurgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I brought back coral from San Francisco CA to NY. Bring pee cups there 3.5 ounces and they will not give you any problem. But there ask anything just tell what it is they’ll let you through on your carry on
I'm planning to go to RAP in CA, how many frags can I bring in small cups? Is there a limit?

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this situation going home from RAP. The TOTAL amount of water allowed was 3.5OZ. Even got a supervisor involved. They wouldn't budge at the Orlando airport. Ended up having to check my cooler. Luckily I brought some duct tape and taped the lid. When I picked it back up at baggage claim in MSP it had been opened and resealed by TSA. My recommendation to everyone is to be prepared to have to check your frags.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back