How do you do your drip acclimation? Do you..

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few questions in relation to drip acclimating corals, invertebrates, fishes, anemones et al.

When the new inhabitants come in a bag, you float the bag in the DT/Sump for approx 10 mins, turn off the light if it's on, open the bag, pour content into bucket then do drip acclimation.

What if you bought from fellow reefer and you brought your own bucket. You can't float the bucket in the DT. In that case, do you put heater in the bucket then drip acclimate? Or no need for heater in this scenario?

Next question: do you think drip acclimation is important or can be ignored ?

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my thoughts. I float for 15 if possible. I check the salinity in the bag to see how close or far it is from my tank. I then either do a short drip of say 15-20 minutes with fish if it is close. If not I extend to 30-45 depending on how long the fish has been in the bag. If in the bag for extended period ammonia will build up and it is just better to get the fish out of that water quicker.
Invertebrates I always do an hour+ drip as they are much more sensitive to salinity changes.
Corals I temp acclimate, dip and then into QT or DT.
In your scenario with the bucket; I have a small glass thermometer and would check temp and adjust if the difference was drastic. Otherwise same drip procedures.
Disclaimer. This is how I do it and am not stating that you or anyone else should do it my way, this is just what I do. Find a practice that works for you.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME: I've always faced temperature drops in the bucket of several degrees. Why bother floating the bag at all if the bucket temp drops below the qt or display? I guess you could put a small 10 watt heater in or a warm bean bag under the bucket; however, temp can't be guaranteed.

I just float the bag (with a drop of prime) in qt and dump small amounts of water in the old fashioned way... dump half out and repeat. I haven't found any difference in livestock success/failure rate compared to drip... that's just a hunch though.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my thoughts. I float for 15 if possible. I check the salinity in the bag to see how close or far it is from my tank. I then either do a short drip of say 15-20 minutes with fish if it is close. If not I extend to 30-45 depending on how long the fish has been in the bag. If in the bag for extended period ammonia will build up and it is just better to get the fish out of that water quicker.
Invertebrates I always do an hour+ drip as they are much more sensitive to salinity changes.
Corals I temp acclimate, dip and then into QT or DT.
In your scenario with the bucket; I have a small glass thermometer and would check temp and adjust if the difference was drastic. Otherwise same drip procedures.
Disclaimer. This is how I do it and am not stating that you or anyone else should do it my way, this is just what I do. Find a practice that works for you.

How would you adjust in your practice with the bucket scenario?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the fish from a reef tank, then salinity should be close enough to float for 10min and then just add to the tank.

FinnyGyrrl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you adjust in your practice with the bucket scenario?
My acclimation equipment includes: 3 plastic measuring cups with handles (2-cup capacity, from Dollar Tree!) for small items. The handle holds the measuring cup secure in the tank. Just like a $$ acclimation box! With jumpy fish, place net over top.
But, for large creatures, or adding to the acrylic tank with crossbraces, I usually just pour the creature(s) in a large, metal bowl placed on top of aquarium (cross-braces). It assumes very close to tank temp, quickly. Have also used a ziplock bag for more delicate creatures!
Liveaquaria's acc instructions (one fourth tank water, added to acclimation container, every four minutes, replacing container's total vume 2 X's, works VERY WELL for me!!!
Have never lost anything during "Acclimation", and I have never "dripped" once--like you, I was too concerned with the probability of temperaturr variance!!!
Best wishes!

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pour the bags into a bucket, hook up the drip tube. Start with a slow dip. If its cold in my house (winter time) i'll put a 10-15 watt heater in there if its summer I dont bother. After 10 minutes I open up the drip line a bit more. after 10 again a bit more flow. Doing this until the water has been replaced about twice or 3 times (sometimes an hour and a half of dripping). Then I put them in. I have sometimes dripped things by putting the container in the sump (pitcher in the sump so water temp is the same as the sump) and let the excess overflow into the sump. This way you can drip for multiple hours and not worry about water on the floor or temperature swings etc. I only do this however if the source is safe normally another one of my tanks or a trusted reefer buddy.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My routine at the moment.

Fish: Float in bag for 15-20 mins. Open bag and dump half the water out. Raise the level in the bag by approximately 1" and leave 10 minutes. Repeat twice more then net and release.

Inverts (Shrimps/crabs/Snails etc.): Float in bag for 15-20 mins. Open bag and dump half the water out. Then I will either set up a drip and acclimatise for 1.5 - 2 hours then release into tank or I will add 10ml of tank water to the bag every 5 mins for 1.5 - 2hrs then release into tank.

Lps: Float in bag for 15-20 mins. Open bag and dump half the water out. Then as per Inverts either drip or add 10ml every 5 mins for 45mins - 1hr lift out and add to tank.

Sps: Float in bag for 15-20 mins. Lift out and hold out of the water for 15-20 seconds and then put into tank.

A couple of points.

1. As mentioned above this is just my way, it works for me and I've never had any problems. I don't think there are any absolute gospel rules for it. Just find a way that you're happy with and go for it.

2. Yes I know I should be dipping my corals and this is something I'm definitely about to start doing.:)

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, with the bucket scenario I would either put the fish in a bag and continue as above or put the fish in a jug hanging on the inside of the sump for 15 mins then either drip for 20-30 mins or use the add 1" of water method as described for fish above.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float the bag for 15 minutes, then pour into a specimen container which is hooked inside (not outside) the tank and start the drip. Specimen container will stay at target temp without adding a separate heater ;)

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always check temperature and alk when acclimating new corals. I've had invert die in 69degree arrival water and had some acros survive this swing. ALK and temperature if over 1DKH or 8degree swing i drip acclimate for at least 2 hours.

awais98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the topic is re acclimation, but never forget to QT the fishes ( for a month or so) and dip the corals atleast in Bayer.
Speaking from experience

Re acclimation: I simple drip, double the water, throw out half , drip again x 2 and it’s ready for the quarantine or coral dip.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish...if it's a shipped fish, no acclimation. I ask the shipper for the shipping salinity, match my QT to that and float for 15 minutes and in they go. If it's a local store I do the same and already know what their salinity is. One more very good reason to QT rather than directly to the DT. Fish are much more tolerant of salinity swings (especially downward ones) than we usually think.

Corals...float, dip in my choice of coral dips (usually Coral Rx or Bayer), rinse x 2 and then in the tank.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dripping.
If I feel the new inhabitant is extra sensitive, I'll float for 10 mins, then start adding a bit of tank water by hand every few minutes until I feel I've added about 50% or so.
Then I throw them in the tank.
Otherwise, I just float for temp and then put in the tank.

penguin_free

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably acclimate a little more gently; I tend to just float everything a little while, mix 50/50 with tank water, then release about 15 min later. My lfs keeps parameters pretty close to mine, and it's only a 5 min drive home though. The subject generally comes out of the bag ready to find some chow.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dripping.
If I feel the new inhabitant is extra sensitive, I'll float for 10 mins, then start adding a bit of tank water by hand every few minutes until I feel I've added about 50% or so.
Then I throw them in the tank.
Otherwise, I just float for temp and then put in the tank.
Do you follow the same procedure for inverts?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you follow the same procedure for inverts?
Depends. If it's just my lfs where they've only been in the bag for an hour or two, yes.
But if shipped, like from reefcleaners, then I do as they instruct which in ReefCleaner's case is float for temp and then dump in the tank.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float the bag for 30 minutes, then drain the water into the sink and drop the fish,coral(coral does get dipped) right into the tank. No drip, no quarantine tank.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've rushed acclimation process but now treat fish, inverts, corals the same when it comes to acclimation... I notice a direct correlation between corals, inverts, and fish, thriving whenever they where treated like delicate animals and acclimated accordingly. Sure in the wild they are used to changing water chemistry and temperature but not in a split second.. Sea creatures can go from 75 degree to 80 degree within over the course of 1 hour with no issue. However, they have not evolved to go from 75 to 80 degrees in 1 second. Same applies to all parameters. I have to exercise greater patients on my next batch of corals to acclimate them to my lighting gradually in 7-14 days.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back