How do YOU fill your tank?

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. Not sure if this is the right area for this thread but it does fall into aquascape. I'm still using the ol' tip the bucket way of filling my tank. However this leads to me blowing the samd around and ticking corals off and even have disrupted them. I looked into a python but my sink doesnt have a standard thread. It's a "fancy" faucet. I thought about getting a pump but they seem expensive. Lmk what yall do. Thanks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are several ways to go about filling a tank. If you are filling the tank with a bucket then one approach is to put a plate on the sand and pour the water in the bucket toward the plate. Another approach would be to get a small pump, valve, hose barb, and a bit of PVC pipe with two elbows that can be hung over the edge of the tank - with the valve you can control the flow rate to make sure that you are not stirring up the water. Good luck with whatever direction you choose!

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a battery operated transfer pump. I take a stepladder, put the bucket/jug of water on top, and pump the water into the tank. Pump is weak enough that it doesn’t make a mess in the tank but powerful enough that you won’t take too long. Not the exact pump I have, but similar.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if doing a manual water change. I empty from the tank. But refil to the sump. I match my dc pump to the flow rate of my siphon hose. This way i also stop filling when i reach my high water sensor in my sump.

i also like the ext pumps from cobalt. what i use to move water from my ro/di reservoir to either my mixing container or a 5 gallon jug to fill my ato.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small pump that sits on the end of a PVC pipe that I suspend in the main tank and pump water out and into a drain. I then use the same contraption (more or less) and put the pump in fresh saltwater and refill the tank.

To keep the same volume, I turn off the return pump before I start, and refill until I first start to hear the water flow into the sump. Turn the pump back on and then “true up” the volume by matching a line placed in my sump.

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a vaccum gravel cleaner to both take water out and refill from a 5 gallon bucket

Screenshot_20200107-220923_Amazon Shopping.jpg

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a little lifeguard pump that fits into those standard 5 gallon jugs. The head pressure sucks so I’m looking for a faster way.

it’s super convenient just not efficient. Once I get my garage in order I’m gonna look into doing AWC.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, you can get a cheapo pump off Amazon and some hose for less than 40$. Depends on your size get a small Rio pump and vinyl hose, drop pump in bucket and hose in tank.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a python to drain it. I made this (loc line and vinyl tube) and attach it to a cheap pump I bought.
4C343DAF-6DF0-4B3E-8508-AB2C968415BC.jpeg

I have a brute container on wheels that I keep my saltwater in, so I just wheel it’s up to the tank

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on how much you need to fill. For me doing a 10% wc involves only a 5 gallon bucket of water. I mix it in there and then transfer by using a 2.5 quart container until the bucket is down to 1/3 of its volume. Then I dump the rest in from the bucket. As far as removing water, i just use a siphon hose into a 5 gallon bucket.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if doing a manual water change. I empty from the tank. But refil to the sump. I match my dc pump to the flow rate of my siphon hose. This way i also stop filling when i reach my high water sensor in my sump.

i also like the ext pumps from cobalt. what i use to move water from my ro/di reservoir to either my mixing container or a 5 gallon jug to fill my ato.
Sounds like ur a mad scientist with all u got going on. Plus I’m so new to this I haven’t even fully figured out what to do with deco but I know I’m going 95 percent fake,, only real stuff is crushed coral in the center and some live rock. Have 16 buckets of water ready to roll by tomorrow night just figuring out how to do it without screwing up

8F392CD4-650C-4C34-8B89-7F3D82CAD13F.jpeg 8523EF60-C4EA-4599-BB10-D702D300B873.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back