How do you frag Echinos?

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I have a couple of large Echinos that I want to frag soon. What is the best way to frag them? They are both pretty thick, so I don't think I can cut or break them well with bone cutters. Should I use a Dremel? If so, what type of bit or blade?

Any help would be great, this is my first attempt at fragging anything other than Zoos.

Thanks,
Steve

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I have a dremel, but I never use it. I always use an angle grinder with a metal bit. It cuts most like butta! LOL!

OP
OP
follow3

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rev,

So that's it? You just use an angle grinder and cut em up?

Can you elaborate on the procedure? Step by step if you don't mind. I really don't want to mess this up. LOL.

I also have an angle grinder, so that is what I will use. I was thinking it would be hard to do with a Dremel because they are a little too thick for any of the blades I have.

When using the angle grinder, how do you keep from burning the coral? Doesn't the cutting blade produce a lot of heat?

Thanks,
Steve

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooops actually let me rephrase. I didnt really catch the title. I was meaning frag in general thick corals. I use the grinder to cut some aussie acans I got in and have cut many other thick skeleton corals. Echinos I haven't done, but I would say as long as you score it with a razor you should be fine.

When I frag my acans for example, I just cut right though them. I have also used a tile saw to cut an acan up into many many pieces without incident.

Sorry for the error.

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a band saw with a small tooth metal blade... If you are using a dremel try and find some diamond coated cut off wheels, they work well.

racerw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jen has a great step by step on fragging echinos on her blog. It is on the homepage jendub.com. Makes it look very simple

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back