how do you guys prepare for a power outage: Saltwater Aquarium Prepared

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$750 portable generator. Just big enough for the tank, fridge, and freezer. In all honesty though, I've only lost power longer than 30 minutes once in 12 years of living here.

jm23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my generator boxed up in the garage, but after seeing the local forcast I finally got it up an running. It is worth the small investment to protect all the hours and money we pour into our tanks.

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents just had a 20kw generac installed that runs off lp. They have a 500 lv tank should run every thing in their house for a week on that tank. They didn't have to have it buried, just 15 feet away from buildings (like that 15 ft will make a difference if it ever blew up). I'm looking into a small portable generator to run my heater and pumps. Not worried about lights I can just open my curtains and let it have some sunlight.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little off topic BUT I was thinking about rigging a solar panel for my tanks. Has anyone else done this?

Stephanie ( newbie)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

I know of a Reef Store around me that told me once they were doing this for customers, but I really haven't been back to them in a while to see how it worked out.
It is possible though if you do what Planedoc suggested.

You would need to use a solar panel to charge a battery and the battery hooked up to an inverter to run the tank.

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have battery powered air pumps with air stones in the tanks that turn on when the power goes out. We are also working on getting a whole house generator.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back