How do you guys use ATO Optical Sensor

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on how I will implement my ATO on the Reef-Pi. I don't know what sensor to use. I was planning to use a optical sensor to detect water level, and float switch as a backup (and a float valve)... The problem I am running into is that none of these switches are waterproof. So whenever I turn off my return pump the sensor will get wet and break... Should I just use a on contact liquid sensor? What are you guys doing?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on how I will implement my ATO on the Reef-Pi. I don't know what sensor to use. I was planning to use a optical sensor to detect water level, and float switch as a backup (and a float valve)... The problem I am running into is that none of these switches are waterproof. So whenever I turn off my return pump the sensor will get wet and break... Should I just use a on contact liquid sensor? What are you guys doing?
I think this is only wort doing with 100g plus setups. I have a £30 ATO with optical sensor. Nothing to configure and the motor replaceable up to 2A motor. That is 100g + top up. Reality is you don’t need bigger motor. I have 40g the ATO never runs more than 4-5 sec so I would assume it would easily handle 3x of the size of my tank.

to answer your question if I would change my mind I would use something like this

OP
OP
S

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is only wort doing with 100g plus setups. I have a £30 ATO with optical sensor. Nothing to configure and the motor replaceable up to 2A motor. That is 100g + top up. Reality is you don’t need bigger motor. I have 40g the ATO never runs more than 4-5 sec so I would assume it would easily handle 3x of the size of my tank.

to answer your question if I would change my mind I would use something like this

Yeah, this is sort of what i was planning. I just have the fear that i sensors will break when i overflow sump by turning off return pump. have you had any issues with this?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with optical sensors, 5 years back, but after several false kickoffs, i switched to float sensors, and they are way more reliable. I use a supporting 3d printed contraption, like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3222691

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using a couple of these for redundancy outside of the tank/sump/container and never have them submerged.

PIR

a commercial vendor had one: Puratek Auto Level Controller. I don’t think they could compete in the crowded space. @Broadfield was using it a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with optical sensors, 5 years back, but after several false kickoffs, i switched to float sensors, and they are way more reliable. I use a supporting 3d printed contraption, like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3222691
I'm planning to use float switch as a backup at around the same level. So i guess worst case scenario, the float switch will work whenever the optical gets ruined from water. I'll just silicon the top of optical sensor and hope for the best. I read somewhere that the float switches fail from carbon and salt creep

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at this type of sensor, these are great when water level could go over optical, 100% if that happens too often and optical is submersed for a period of time it will be ruined, water gets in where the cable enters.

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got one of the optical Sensors as my “HighWaterMark” for ATO/AWC, with a float switch backup and a float valve for both fills also (so couple levels of redundancy).

Im using the non-contact sensor Rob mentioned as my LowWaterMark as that would be submerged most of the time.

I put a little extra silicone around the optical sensor cable also... like you said it gets submerged when return is off, but usually for not ver long. See how long it lasts....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back