How do you handle evaporation top offs? Automatic is the way to go!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FINALLY! Yes finally got my auto top off fully automated! :) Feels good too!

For me I needed an ATO that I could leave for a week or two at a time since we travel to trade shows, etc. So with the help of Dan from Avast Marine and some of our awesome members here I was able to get it set up.

Still have to shorten the breakout box wire and then do some overall wire management but it's coming along! The unit is a Avast Marine Peristaltic Pump for Auto Top-Off, Break out Box for Neptune Controllers, Top Off Kit, and Barrel Tender.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Barrel Tender keeps the RODI tank full at all times! I also have a auto shutoff valve on the water coming into the RO unit so the water supply shuts off as well.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you handle your Top Offs?

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my RODI system plumbed into a storage container, it's also tee'd to my ATO container. I have a ball valve installed right before the container as well so that I can shut off flow to my ATO container. Float valve in my ATO container keeps it from overfilling as it triggers the RODI systems auto shutoff.

When I go out of town, I just open the valve and let the ATO container stay full. When I'm home, I usually have the ball valve closed and then will open it once the container gets near empty (about every 3-4 days).

A Tunze Osmolator handles the rest.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a standard float valve with a small pump that goes to the inlet of my sump. I use my old 55 gallon to hold the RO/DI water. Pretty simple and basic.

psirex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY! Yes finally got my auto top off fully automated! :) Feels good too!

For me I needed an ATO that I could leave for a week or two at a time since we travel to trade shows, etc. So with the help of Dan from Avast Marine and some of our awesome members here I was able to get it set up.

Still have to shorten the breakout box wire and then do some overall wire management but it's coming along! The unit is a Avast Marine Peristaltic Pump for Auto Top-Off, Break out Box for Neptune Controllers, Top Off Kit, and Barrel Tender.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Barrel Tender keeps the RODI tank full at all times! I also have a auto shutoff valve on the water coming into the RO unit so the water supply shuts off as well.

image.jpeg
That is a nice setup!

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, so your ato reservoir is hooked up to your rodi and topped off automatically, then it feeds your return section using an ato? Is that correct?

BSDS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was auto-filling my ato reservoir directly from the rodi unit using the float/auto shutoff but due to 'tds creep' I have opted to start manually filling my reservoir every few days to ensure 0 tds and to also ensure I'm better maintaining my rodi media by flushing the unit- my tapwater tds is >400! I certainly hope I can come up with a better set up eventually. My ato is via the icecap ato unit that I've been using without issue for about a month now.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same way for years for me! HA!
haha. its nice to HAVE to do something with the tank but at the same time super inconvenient.
once my new tank is up and running will be using either the JBJ or the Hydor. The ease of an ATO is amazing.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little 5 gallon reservoir hooked up to an eshopps ATO float switch. It needs to be refilled twice a week or so. It works for the smaller volume we need and like someone mentioned above I flush the filter before running into the reservoir.

I'm sure if I was doing top-off on a 400+ gallon system I would want it fully automatic. Water-changes too. I had the pleasure of catching a presentation by Copps at our local swap last month. That guy has the right idea for water changes- flip a couple valves, flip a couple more valves-Done!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back