How do you handle evaporation top offs? Automatic is the way to go!

S&SReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the tunze or a jbj ato with an aqualifter depending on the size of thr tank

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Everyone filling up the ato off off their rodi unit u guys are crazy to me. If that gets stuck on that's scary."

I have seen so many threads over the years of people's tanks crashing due to this and/or flooding their house while they were away, if they leave their RO/DI unit on. This includes plumbing directly to their sumps. Extremely risky to do.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Everyone filling up the ato off off their rodi unit u guys are crazy to me. If that gets stuck on that's scary."

I have seen so many threads over the years of people's tanks crashing due to this and/or flooding their house while they were away, if they leave their RO/DI unit on. This includes plumbing directly to their sumps. Extremely risky to do.
That's what redundancies are for :) I have three, and all of them would have to fail for any sort of flooding. A timer on the solenoid, a float valve in the reservoir, and a watchful eye keep me safe. My system isn't fully automated though, and I can totally see something going wrong in that case.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what redundancies are for :) I have three, and all of them would have to fail for any sort of flooding. A timer on the solenoid, a float valve in the reservoir, and a watchful eye keep me safe. My system isn't fully automated though, and I can totally see something going wrong in that case.
So u leave ur rodi unit on and when the float valve goes down ur rodi unit then runs for a min or two til the float valve gets closed again?

I don't see how this can be good for an rodi unit. Also how do u know ur not putting water with tds in ur tank?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO by icecap...
So u leave ur rodi unit on and when the float valve goes down ur rodi unit then runs for a min or two til the float valve gets closed again?

I don't see how this can be good for an rodi unit. Also how do u know ur not putting water with tds in ur tank?
My Plan is I will have a float switch for a a final shut off but will put 3 optical sensors in my RODI reservoir, about maybe half way down on a 75 gallon tank, the last one will be at the bottom just in case it goes dry won't let my ATO pump turn on.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not quite. My RODI is plumbed to my reservoir which is 14 gallons so I'm never making less than 10 gallons at a time, it's not automated yet so I control when it comes on, and it's a dual TDS meter system (I know they aren't infallible but it gives me a good idea). The solenoid that controls flow is on the supply line so my system isn't under constant pressure either. It's not a perfect system, but it works!

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt hook up my ATO directly to RO unit..Its just too much automation for my liking.. However, I am not knocking this practice as the redundancy people use are great. The float valve is great backup and using a controller to only power the solenoid few time per day. Now if you hook it up to the sump with just a float valve then your a moron lol

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Plan is I will have a float switch for a a final shut off but will put 3 optical sensors in my RODI reservoir, about maybe half way down on a 75 gallon tank, the last one will be at the bottom just in case it goes dry won't let my ATO pump turn on.
Just out of curiosity, why half way? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your plan... the 75 gallon is you display or reservior?

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a Lifereef float valve that triggers a small powerhead in a 10 gallon RODI tank inside the stand. It's been flawless for years (I don't think Lifereef even makes them anymore). I did pick up a Tunze osmolator for a 120 build in my near future. I can go for about 10 days with this set up, and have set up an additional tank of RO for longer absences.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, why half way? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your plan... the 75 gallon is you display or reservior?
Oh I just mean after the ATO takes maybe half the water out I will hit the solenoid valve for the RODI water to come on then it will run 30 or so gallons and shut off, I hope I can get it going soon the hardest part is I got to rearrange the garage lol. I think I will buy the containers at the end of this month I think I will get 2 one for RODI one for salt water and I think I will do an auto water change toobut not 100% yet

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a Lifereef float valve that triggers a small powerhead in a 10 gallon RODI tank inside the stand. It's been flawless for years (I don't think Lifereef even makes them anymore). I did pick up a Tunze osmolator for a 120 build in my near future. I can go for about 10 days with this set up, and have set up an additional tank of RO for longer absences.
I will call Jeff on Monday and ask I just bought his skimmer the Lifereef is the first skimmer I have ever had that started skimming good in 2 days love this thing

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get one from Jeff a few years back and he said that he couldn't get the solenoids he needed to build them, which seemed kinda odd. He said that might change in the future. They're not on his website.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was auto-filling my ato reservoir directly from the rodi unit using the float/auto shutoff but due to 'tds creep' I have opted to start manually filling my reservoir every few days to ensure 0 tds and to also ensure I'm better maintaining my rodi media by flushing the unit- my tapwater tds is >400! I certainly hope I can come up with a better set up eventually. My ato is via the icecap ato unit that I've been using without issue for about a month now.

Do you have well water? Because that is super high TDS water. You may want to try draining the sediment from your home's water tank. They usually have a hose connection on the bottom and I had to drain out 10 gallons of brown water from the bottom of my tank and now my source TDS is between 80 & 100. But I have city water. Worth a shot.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice solutions!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back