How do you handle evaporation top offs? Automatic is the way to go!

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 Tunze ATO 3155 in the last,3 years. I had 3 pump failures( one right of the box) and 2 electronic fails. I don't believe the Tunze quality is a good as it used to be. I'm going on a cruise for 2 weeks in June and I no longer feel I can trust Tunze. I just ordered an Icecap ATO

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same Avast set up without barrel tender, I have and RO reservoir tank that is feed straight off the RODI unit with shut off valve and a shut off in the reservoir

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ca9f25c8c196cb71fc782782da5903f2.jpg

16 gallon ATO lasts me two weeks. Fill manually.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job, I would love to do this but its not possible with the plumbing and tank room.

Glad you got that rattlesnake under control ; )

HAHA thanks man. I think it was a Rat snake now.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation is the only way to go.
I have a 150GPD RO DI unit directly hooked to my sump via a T valve that is controlled by a normally closed electronic valve that is regulated by my apex and a float valve. There is a float valve in the sump that determines water level. There is also a backup float switch installed just in case something happens. I'm emailed if the second float switch is triggered.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much hare you guys evaporating in a 24 hour period? On my 120 Gallon system with a Giesmann Spectra and a fan as cooling I'm losing over 4 gallons a day but my water stays at a perfect 78.5 degrees without a chiller. I use a DOS pulling from my RODI tank in the basement. I know the high evaportation rate is saving me from buying a chiller it just seems super excessive. If I had to use a standard 10 gal. ATO tank it would be terrible, I'd have to fill it every other day.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium evaporates about 4-9 gallons a day depending on the time of year. That is why I hooked it up to the RO/DI directly. Much more stable and no worries of a pump running dry. Been running it this way for over 10 years. No issues.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 Osmolator with an Aqueon 5.5 gallon tank as an ATO reservoir with a custom lid that I made for it. Works very well and has been rock solid for my Biocube 29 and lasts nearly 3 weeks as evaporation is minimal with the Biocube hood on.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 Osmolator with an Aqueon 5.5 gallon tank as an ATO reservoir with a custom lid that I made for it. Works very well and has been rock solid for my Biocube 29 and lasts nearly 3 weeks as evaporation is minimal with the Biocube hood on.
Got a picture of that lid you made? I use the exact same set up on my 75g, but I'm open top so I only last almost a week before I have to refill the ATO resivoir. I can probably get a little more with a lid to prevent the RODI from evaporating.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast Marine all the way! Love the pressure switch, no issues with sticking or biofouling. I have 3 in operation.
Same here, I use the same set up as you Rev. It works great and I always recommend Avast Marine for ATO questions. Those guys can make anything work!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: This has been running flawless for me so far. So nice to NEVER worry about fresh water!

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
highly sophisticated hand, arm and eye coordination (I dump RODI in manually for now)
I did this for years, going ATO is the best change I ever made. It makes a big difference when you have to make up 3-5 gallons a day. On a small tank even though you have smaller amount of water to deal with the salinity swing can be higher as the total system volume is lower.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this for years, going ATO is the best change I ever made. It makes a big difference when you have to make up 3-5 gallons a day. On a small tank even though you have smaller amount of water to deal with the salinity swing can be higher as the total system volume is lower.
yeah. my old tank had the jbj ato, current tank doesnt have anything.
my new build thats in process has the tunze ato. makes life sooo much eaier.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added this little bad boy to my RODI unit. It's plumbed straight to my ATO so now I have one touch refill capabilities for my reservoir through my APEX. I eventually want to add float switches to automate it, but now I am one step closer :)

20170609_084324.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded from a five gallon to a 10 gallon trash.

I use a float and gravity because it is free.

This last me about a week and a half. My rodi tank 35 gallon trash can is two feet away and to fill up my ato tank I use on of my left over pumps.

Everyone filling up the ato off off their rodi unit u guys are crazy to me. If that gets stuck on that's scary.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back