How do you keep corals temporarily in place?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try a few locations of frags, see how they do before gluing them down. However, in most cases I can't seem to keep the frags in place with just the plug and I don't want to glue until I am sure that's where I want them.

How do you temporarily keep corals in place with the possible intention of moving them later on?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of the coral epoxy sticks and/or super glue. Pretty much anything you use (including super glue) is only temporary and can be removed with not too much effort. The only time a frag becomes immovable for me is when it encrusts.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks- I guess gluing anyway would be best and pull it apart if needed. Note to self, get more glue

In most areas I can't wedge the plug in, where I want them to be- which makes it harder for me

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, just glueepoxy them in place. They are easily removed if you want to relocate. "Wedging" sometimes comes back to haunt you as inevitably, somehow they get knocked out. I've lost a few....

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, that's the other thing about wedging the frags in. they do get knocked out. One of my zoas fell and I can't reach it under the rocks and I can't move them to get it, so I know it's gone now.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a majority of my corals wedged into place.One of my favorite items to use is skeletons from birdnest or other branching corals.Wedge or glue your plug into a tight spot and kind of cage it inside.Then you can move the whole piece around.It may not look pretty at first but it will create a more stable base that is more difficult to topple.In addition the coral can grow onto the structure for a decent amount of time before becoming too permanent.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a majority of my corals wedged into place.One of my favorite items to use is skeletons from birdnest or other branching corals.Wedge or glue your plug into a tight spot and kind of cage it inside.Then you can move the whole piece around.It may not look pretty at first but it will create a more stable base that is more difficult to topple.In addition the coral can grow onto the structure for a decent amount of time before becoming too permanent.

Can you show a photo of what you mean?

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instamorph to mount everything, plug or no plug. It's easy to remove and can be reused. Drop in hot water and mold once the pellets turn clear. All my corals encrust right over it if left long enough. Reefbuilders did a recent spot on a reef focused product similar to this...

Instamorph.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures for you finally @DracoKat !

Using a coral skeleton,this one looks like a old digi...

WP_20161114_008.jpg

Wedge your plugs between the branches.

WP_20161114_005.jpg

WP_20161114_007.jpg

WP_20161114_003.jpg

A example in tank.These two corals started on frag plugs and are entrusting the pocillopora skeleton.At this point they can be moved around as a pair.Or the piece can be cut apart with bone cutters.

DSCF4707.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures for you finally @DracoKat !

Using a coral skeleton,this one looks like a old digi...

WP_20161114_008.jpg

Wedge your plugs between the branches.

WP_20161114_005.jpg

WP_20161114_007.jpg

WP_20161114_003.jpg

A example in tank.These two corals started on frag plugs and are entrusting the pocillopora skeleton.At this point they can be moved around as a pair.Or the piece can be cut apart with bone cutters.

DSCF4707.JPG
Thats cool! I made a "zoa tree" kinda like that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back